Yippeee!

tnwillia

I've lost count of the number of times I changed my rock both before and after water. Last time was last week after one of my Pistol Shrimp tunnels caved in. But, I like it better now with the forced changes.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
If it were me, I'd fill the empty tank with RO/DI, and add salt to get the salinity correct, unless you're buying SW? You could then put the rock in, although I've always like to get the substrate in first, then add the water with a big plate on the bottom, to keep it from stirring up the sand too much and clouding the water. Lots of ways to do it though.

redsea reefer

If it were me, I'd fill the empty tank with RO/DI, and add salt to get the salinity correct, unless you're buying SW? You could then put the rock in, although I've always like to get the substrate in first, then add the water with a big plate on the bottom, to keep it from stirring up the sand too much and clouding the water. Lots of ways to do it though.

That is how I started my tank.

I first put in the Live Sand, about 40#, then Live Rock went in and I filled it with pre-made SW...

Dweezil

Thanks guys. That gives me something to think about. My thinking of adding the rock first and then the sand was to stabalize the rocks a bit. I thought I read that somewhere in the millions of threads I've been thru. hahahah

I also saw a video of someone who added the sand first and then put a plastic bag down over it then added the water. This way the substrate wasn't disturbed and did not make a mess at all. After the water was where he wanted it he just pulled up the bag no problem. I thought that was nifty.

Meanwhile, I have worked for hrs on getting some rocks into the tank. I'm so tired! I probably will not touch it again today. You were right though Terry, I did not get them back the way they were on the table! So frustrating.

I did have a couple questions though:
1) The hood part that goes over the skimmer does not shut down flush like it should. I have checked and double checked the skimmer was sitting properly but still it won't sit flush. Same goes for the cover over the light timer.

2) The salt they sent with the kit is rock hard like it got damp or something.
If I try to break it up with a hammer will it still be okay to use?

3) Where do you guys put the charcoal?

On a happy note. My Vortech MP10 came today :dryer:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
1) The hood part that goes over the skimmer does not shut down flush like it should. I have checked and double checked the skimmer was sitting properly but still it won't sit flush. Same goes for the cover over the light timer. Many sit up like 1/16" to 1/8" several threads on this... some are a bit more & Pinky (RSM Rep.) has sent out new covers before... I just filed mine down 1/16 & it worked...
2) The salt they sent with the kit is rock hard like it got damp or something.
If I try to break it up with a hammer will it still be okay to use? Not sure if it would be "ok" to use... but I would ask Pinky at RSM to send me some more if I was you... sure Pinky would...
3) Where do you guys put the charcoal? I put mine in the "chamber of death" - back left side under the circulation pumps, as rsm suggest.

if needed...

Pinky Bulot U.S.A. Office: Red Sea 18125 Ammi Trail Houston, Texas 77060

Tel: (281) 447-0205 Fax: (281) 447-1153

Toll Free: 1-888-RedSea9

pinky@redseafish.com

echopiece

1) The hood part that goes over the skimmer does not shut down flush like it should. I have checked and double checked the skimmer was sitting properly but still it won't sit flush. Same goes for the cover over the light timer.
I had this exact same issue when I bought my 130D. However, Pinky ended up sending me a new lid over the skimmer bay that has the ribs shaved down. It still doesnt sit 100% perfect, but it is much better. Another thing to look at/adjust are the white plastic hood pins. If you rotate them 90 degrees or so, it should realign the skimmer hood and timer flap so they sit flush. Every time I raise tank hood to its fullest upright position, I have to readjust the white plastic hinges. Here is the link to the problem I was having. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/43220-joining-club-3.html

Ultimately, I think the glass shims that skimmer sits on are too high. Shave down the ribs on the hood flap that interfere with the collection cup, and you should be good to go.

Blurp

Good layout, take into account what ReefMack said about cleaning. Start making tries now, and push your rocks from all sides to check their structural strength, should they move paste with two component putty if you're convinced with the shaping and sure that there will be enough circulation (I used some tiny piece of macroalgae and let them float to see if there were some spots where there wasn't enough)

Upon your FedEx reception, make sure there's still some warranty :):):):)

Dweezil

Thanks Blurp. I did try to leave room for cleaning around all glass sides and such. I can put a pretty good amount of pressure on them without them moving but I think the putty is probably a good idea on a couple pieces. What type of putty do I use? Is it something that I can get at Lowes or Home Depot?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
You can get the marine putty at Lowes or Home Depot - wish I could recall what they call it. It dries very white, but will eventually get "dirty" and covered in coralline. I prefer the stone gray putty myself, but you'd have to get it from an lfs and pay a lot more for a lot less.

On the salt - breaking it up by pounding the bag on cement may break it up. The salt is fine, but only if you can get it into fine enough particles that it all dissolves. Or, do what Glenn said and contact Pinky at Red Sea, if you can wait.

StirCrayzy

the salt will dissolve no matter the size or how hard the chunks. .
water will dissolve it, just may take a little longer. The chemical composition does not change, but is definately a packaging problem, and would justify a replacement if you want to go through the trouble.

Sapphire

I like your rock work - but you're probably right in saying it won't look the same again!! I did the same as you and set it up outside the tank and tried to replicate it. I got it pretty close but I also found it looks different in water....

I have used the epoxy to attach rocks to ensure stability but just be aware it takes ages to bond if you do it under water (I found I thought it was set then took my hands away and it was fine til I turned away and then......rock pile!!)

Anyway I'm really looking forward to seeing some pics of how it goes - looks like you have godo ideas!

As far as the salt goes - we had a bucket we had to break up - it was fine, just took a while longer to completely dissolve.

Dweezil

Thanks Sapphire. Hope you had a nice get-a-way weekend. I've got most of the rock in the tank now but I need to somehow find a way to break up a very large piece. So I can arrange it in the tank. It's just too big and heavy for that tank. I took it outside yesterday and dropped it hoping it would break but it didn't put a dent in it! hahah I then took a hammer to it and still no luck :cursin: I'm going to have to get the hubby to get some of his tools out. Then this morning I'm off to the store to get some epoxy.