Yes Duncans CAN Eat Fish!!

gbose

I saw a thread a few days ago from a member asking if Duncans could eat fish. I'd have said no, but have just experienced this. I got a lovely neon damsel (quite rare, I'm told) and added it to my tank. It was bullied mercilessly by my clown and my 6-line wrasse and went into hiding. I hoped things would settle down, but later in the evening, I saw it's tail sticking out of the Duncan's mouth . I can't imagine how it happened -- my Duncans are high up in the tank and the fish was hiding low in the rocks... I cant think the Duncan actually killed it, but you can see it eating it -- or trying to!

I can't figure out how to copy an image into this post, or I would...

GBose

gbose

OK, trying. Yes, you can see his tail sticking out of the Duncan's mouth....

Triniwasp --yes, I must believe he was dying and wound up near the Duncan. Just can't figure out how this would have happened. When last seen, he was hiding down in the rock work. The Duncan is a good 6 inches above, on a rock....

duncan_zps9a48d50c.jpg

gbose

Thanks, Singlefin! Yes, they are Duncans, but I think the close-up shot made them look bigger than they are. They are healthy - each crown between one and one and a half inches wide -- but not really huge, I think.

Saltlife, I hope you're right. But at the end of the evening, the Duncan looked like it wanted to upchuck the fish out. Don't know what finally happened -- hope it ate it successfully, after all that effort.

GBose

Doogle

Oh god(note to self dont get ducans)..
Why?
They aren't going to eat a fish, they are not capable. A dead fish that floats into one will get ingested but unless it is very very small it will get regurgitated. My plate coral regurgitates stuff that is too large all the time, I've seen it happen and it happens very quickly at times - they inflate themselves with water and quickly expel whatever they can't digest ( like rotting food ) and sometimes it slowly pushes it out ( like when its too large ).
Its nothing to worry about, no live fish will get eaten.lol

lbiminiblue

Why?
They aren't going to eat a fish, they are not capable. A dead fish that floats into one will get ingested but unless it is very very small it will get regurgitated. My plate coral regurgitates stuff that is too large all the time, I've seen it happen and it happens very quickly at times - they inflate themselves with water and quickly expel whatever they can't digest ( like rotting food ) and sometimes it slowly pushes it out ( like when its too large ).
Its nothing to worry about, no live fish will get eaten.lol
I imagine that a weak enough fish could easily get eaten by a coral with a few extended feeders...my brain ate a small damsel once.

yankieman

I personally dont think a live healthy fish will get eaten by most corals ,, maybe an anemone might catch one but even that would not be to oftain

sheavens

I'd be inclined to agree with yankieman here. I don't think a fish would be affected by a coral sting as they are very mild.

PIMPALA

lol. eating a fish, and eating a fish corpse is two completely different things.

a big enough zoanthid can eat a small enough fish. especially if it was dead or dying already.

gbose

Pimpala,

Is this true of all zoas? I really like them and want to grow them, but have never been able to feed them anything at all. Do zoas really feed -- what can you feed them?