Yellowtailed Damsel

i dont know about 5, but i think its better than the 2 that i have. One of them bullies the other one to the point he won't allow the other one near any of the rocks so he stays in the corner near the surface. If i had it to do again i would stay away from damsels.

But i've read that having a school will spread out the aggression. Mine are still small, only about 1.5", but they are very territorial.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Tanks kinda small to add 5 damsels at once. I would add one a week and keep an eye on your water parameters.
Also I would not add more then 2. 5 in a tank that small is going to cause territory issues and the damsels will be very aggressive to any other fish including there own kind.

groomlm

Hi, same problem here, i have a 45 gallon tank and had damsels recommended to me. I bought 3 damsels and one of them started attacking my cleaner shrimp. I've since added 2 purple firefish, and the damsels also seem to be aggressive towards them. SHould I remove them?????
I really want to get a pair of clowns but worry that the damsels will stess them too much.
Thanks for any help

groomlm

Hi, same problem here, i have a 45 gallon tank and had damsels recommended to me. I bought 3 damsels and one of them started attacking my cleaner shrimp. I've since added 2 purple firefish, and the damsels also seem to be aggressive towards them. SHould I remove them?????
I really want to get a pair of clowns but worry that the damsels will stress them too much.
Thanks for any help

DaveK

Damsels, while colorful and easy to keep, are very aggressive. If you are going to keep them, all the other fish in the system must also be aggressive.

Many people start out with damsels, only to wish later that they had something else.

Yes, if you want fish like firefish, the damsels usually need to go.

As for the original question, a 29 gal tank is going to be limited to about 3 or 4 small fish. Adding 5 damsels along with the other fish would be overstocking the tank. However, if the tank were a lot larger, a group of damsels would be a better choice than two. With two, one tends to beat up on the other.

groomlm

Thanks for that, I've spoken to my local stockist and they have said \i can return the damsels, just need to catch them now !!!!

fellers

Thanks for that, I've spoken to my local stockist and they have said \i can return the damsels, just need to catch them now !!!!

LOL, good luck on catching those little devils. Damsels are a truely evil fish with a killer personality. I had 2 yellow tails that harassed everything in my tank. I started the tank with them and removed them about 3 months ago. I put my net in then fed the tank when the damsels came to eat I swooped them up. One jumped out of the net and took 2 more hours to catch the little bugger!

Quantrill

I'm not a fan of damsels, although the yellow tails are not supposed to be as ornery as the regular blues. I'd stay away from them, they're a PITA to catch if you ever do decide you wanna get them out of your tank.