Yellow tang, internal parasite? strange poops.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

new reefer 03

my yellow tang seems to poop a silver thread... thats the best i can describe it, :lol:. he eats great, swallowing everything that looks like food (including my LawnMowers Poop) on my chronicles i have discussed the strange poop, but some suggested this could be a sign of internal parasites, i need to know if it is. how i fix it, and will it spread throughout my tank ?
thanks

a few pics of my tang
3017.jpg

3020.jpg

3019.jpg

3029.jpg

3032.jpg

heres his poop...
3027.jpg

yep, its that little stringy thing.

new reefer 03

in Lees thread it says to use maracalyn two. i think i will try this, but i have to buy a Qt tank too... *sigh*
i think returning the fish would be easier... but i like him, and its a challenge to heal him...

new reefer 03

actually i bought it from one of my good LFS. she had QTed it for 1 week, then had him in her system for 3 weeks. after hearing that i thought it would be fine.

Jeremy0322

Nothing goes in the QT like sand and LR, none of that. I used a power filter, a heater, and a few pieces of pvc pipe. Maybe a light if you want if but you dont really need it. Here are a few pics of mine when i was using that same medication for my bacterial infection my yellow tang had.

CIMG4043.jpg

CIMG4157.jpg

new reefer 03

hmm, so heres my QT list...:
20ish g tank
small HOB filter ( run carbon cartridges that are included? yes, no? )
hiding PVC pipe
heater rated for up to 3g ( will that be enough? )
Maybe small PC light, or regular florescent

powerhead ?????

new reefer 03

hmm, so heres my QT list...:
20ish g tank
small HOB filter ( run carbon cartridges that are included? yes, no? )
hiding PVC pipe
heater rated for up to 3g ( will that be enough? )
Maybe small PC light, or regular florescent

powerhead ?????

:coffee2: this looked cool, so why not?>

Jeremy0322

Mine was a 10g because i had it laying around, and i did about 7 gallons of tank water and then the rest new water, and then that acted as the water change for my display tank, it worked out very nicely for me.

I didnt have a powerhead in mine, i dont know if it will hurt or help but i was alright without it. And I dont know if that heater will be enough, it probably depends on what room of the house the QT is in, but you can get a cheap 10g heater at walmart for like 5 bucks or something.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Here is the Fish Diseases & Treatment forum: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/

Here is a specific thread that will address all QT questions:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23584-fish-quarantine-process-step-step.html

A simple sponge filter powered by an air pump works really well in a QT. Just make sure you have the glass tops to reduce the salt creep made from the bubbles.
Cycling the QT is nice but if you don't have time too then be prepared to make daily water changes (maybe twice daily) to keep the ammonia levels down. Also using a 'seasoned' sponge from your main display helps kick-start the cycle.
You do not need a powerhead.
The heater should be rated for the size tank you'll be using.

Status
Not open for further replies.