Xenon refugium lighting

rdwilson91

hello reefers, I'm setting up a sump/fuge to grow macro and mushroom frags. A very trusted man at my LFS told me that caulerpa will grow under any light with a 6,700 temp or greater, and I wanted to try a 20w xenon light from home depot. Has anyone heard about using xenon for macro? There isn't a lot of information online.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Xenon is WAY over-kill for Macro. I do just like GrendelPrime does!

Keep it simple especially for Macro

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
you're not comparing apples to apples. The human eye is a horrible "instrument" for measuring light intensity.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Still not comparing APPLES to Apples.

My LED lights are only pushing 36W but they FRIED some SPS coral that were under 150W Metal Halide.

If you wanna try the Xenon go ahead because I don't think anything anyone else is saying is going to change your mind. It's your tank and you're the only person who has to be happy with it. :)

rdwilson91

Dude. I just wanted to know why you think xenon is overkill. If I find an LED puck that isn't battery powered, I'll use that.

GrendelPrime

im not familiar with the xenon light and i dont think it would matter but it all depends on how much u want to spend, my light bulb and round reflector cost about 8 bucks