xenia frag (first attempt)

i took two stalks of xenia tonight cut near the base and held them to a little piece of live rock with a piece of mesh. so with a couple of days waiting we will see if they attach. I had two frags until one slipped of my fingers to drift in the tank. oh no!!

fishhead

Propagating corals is great fun. I never fragged a soft coral other than to have it spread to an adjacent rock for a long time, but the way you are doing it is how it should be done. Hard corals are easier to frag IMO. Xenia is insane though. I know a guy who set up a 225 gallon reef. It is now packed with Xenia, literally! they grow pretty fast so I'm sure it should adhere within a week or so. Post again. pic?
Greg

tnwillia

All you have to do is look at Xenia crooked and it will frag it'self. My .02 get it out while you can or stay after it all the time. Good luck!

this tank is a really low light tank. i mean really low light, but the xenia frag i got came with 6 stalks for 10 dollars. they doing great and pulsing. so i thought it time to try fragging it. i could only imagine an entire tank taken over by xenia what a sight it would be.

fishhead

Ya, end up with something like this!
RobsTankR.jpg

woolfe

The easiest way in my opinion to frag soft corals is to stick a toothpick through the stalk, place it on a piece of rock and use an elastic to hold it in place. (just loop the elastic around the ends of the toothpick.) after a few days it will attach to the rock. Then you simply remove the elastic, twist the toothpick, and pull it out. Frag done! :dance:

fishhead

The easiest way in my opinion to frag soft corals is to stick a toothpick through the stalk, place it on a piece of rock and use an elastic to hold it in place. (just loop the elastic around the ends of the toothpick.) after a few days it will attach to the rock. Then you simply remove the elastic, twist the toothpick, and pull it out. Frag done! :dance:

Great! I can make 250,000 frags from that tank! want one...lol

woolfe

LOL no thanks I have plenty! Way more then I need, that's how I know how to frag them. I actually work at my LFS and bring my frags in and sell them for like 10 bucks each. Thanks for the offer though.....:goofy:

Although that looks like the red sea xenia. If you could do a huge frag I might be interested........

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I simply place some Live Rock Rubble against the colony and in a couple of weeks some have "moved" onto the LRR and I pull em and sell em :)

Kovu

man thats what i call xenia out of control thats what green stay polyps are doing to me now, but they dont have alot of value though

update. under the netting the cut end of the stalk is not facing the rubble it is actually off to the side will it still attach not being the cut end facing the rubble. but it looks good under the netting it is extending and trying to open up. but the base of the stalks look to be fine today not melting away like i have heard of. so my real question is will the frag attach itself reggardless of what part is touching the rock.