xenia are all gone but all my other corals are thriving. why?

I bought a preowned tank about 2 month ago and it had so many xenia corals in it. However i also notice it had a lot of Aptasia and green bubble algae. I do weekly water changes and got rid of the aptasia with Red sea Aptasia X and carefully pick out the green bubble algae.

I dont know whats happening, because all my Xenia are dying (melting away) but all the other corals are doing well and normal. Everytime i do my water siphoning i have to get rid of some of the melting xenia.

I just want to know a good explanation on what could of happen.

thank you

Attachments

• 42a3c9aa.jpg
    42a3c9aa.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 42
  • DSC00263.jpg
    DSC00263.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 42
  • green.JPG
    green.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 42
  • photo3.JPG
    photo3.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 42

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Xenia is VERY well known to just "melt" for no apparent reason. Some people can't even seem to keep it alive period. Fortunately for many, if they leave the "mat" from the coral in the tank it can come back (with a renewed energy) in a couple of months. That's just how Xenia is sometimes.

David Shaw

+1 They also don't seem to like water that is "too clean" zero nitrates seem to make them melt. Often grow back though as stated above.

Mischko

Be lucky they are gone. Quite a pest actually! They are good in a refugium to filter the water, but I wouldn't want them in the main tank at all. Took me some time to get rid off them.