HELP! Wrasse very stressed out

nd200

I have had a melnuras Wrasse for about 2 years now. Beautiful fish. Always has been one of if not the most aggressive fish in my tank. The past few weeks however he has been laying on his side in the corner of my tank. It seems like my fox face has been bullying him. He is still eating just not nearly as much as he used to. When he gets scared he used to burry himself and hide. He hasn’t done this in a while. I have fairly course sand so I switched out the sand in the corner he lays in with fine sand so he could more easily burry himself. Do you think this will prompt him to hide in the sand to recover? Why else would he not want to hide? Is there anything else I can do?

Uncle99

The fine sand is a good idea, but if you have had him that long, the sand must have been OK. Bully leads to sickness, if he is to recover, the bully needs to be removed for a few days if possible, followed by a change in tank layout, then reintroduction. See if the aggression stops.....did this bullying just start or is the foxface new.

nd200

The fine sand is a good idea, but if you have had him that long, the sand must have been OK. Bully leads to sickness, if he is to recover, the bully needs to be removed for a few days if possible, followed by a change in tank layout, then reintroduction. See if the aggression stops.....did this bullying just start or is the foxface new.
They have lived together for about a year. Wrasse has always been the aggressor but they never really picked on each other.

Oxylebius

Seems odd that there is this behavior change between two fish who hadn't picked on each other in a year? Has there been some change in the tank prior to this behavior change? Any change at all?