Wow refractometer!

I just picked up a used refractometer and tested my SG!

Before I tested it my hydrometer said it was 1.025 and some change.

The Refractometer just read 1.022 and some change!

Now I see what everyone has been saying!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Brs refracto is under $40 n comes with solution.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

This may be a dumb question ( feel free to call me dumb if it is! Lol!), but if my SG is that low would it be a a possible reason my alk levels in my tank decline fairly quick?

It is manageable, but it drops to about 7 by the end of the week before I do my water change. I have been adding a alk buffer to my TO water to maintain at least 8.

I worry about changing my levels too fast after a water change. It jumps up to about 10 or 11.

I was also thinking of adding Kalkwasser to my TO water to stabilize levels. What do you think?

engineer goby

If your alk is dropping from 10 to 7 over the course of a week its consumption. You can raise it by using soda ash (baked baking soda) just spread some baking soda on a cookie sheet bake it at 350 for an hour, longer won't hurt. Use this calculator to determine how much you need Reef Calculator - Bulk Reef Supply dilute it with some RODI and drip it in. you can safely raise it from 7 to 9 in 1 day.

On a side note I ate 20 hotwings for dinner now I feel sick

dmatt88

Kalc will help with calcium however probably not the issue. Do u run an open top system or do u have lids.

Kalc will help with calcium however probably not the issue. Do u run an open top system or do u have lids.

I have a RSM 130d with the stock hood. I do have the hood fan on for temp control and gas exchange. My PH is stable, but it does drop at night. I do not have a Sump with cheato.

My ph at night is about 7.9 - 8.0.

My calc drops over the week from about 460 to about 420 before my water change.