Would you add?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm looking to get a refugia kit from inland aquatics to better seed my sand bed with more diversity. After reading an article in coral magazine I think that this might help out a lot.

Part of the kit is adding 12 baby bristle worms........I know they are good and I have only ever seen one very tiny one in my tank.....odds are ther could be a few more but would you guys add them to a tank? If yes, then i won't buy them as part of the kit, i'll just go shake some out from a friends chaeto.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
In my opinion I wouldn't add bristle worms, they will come if there is too much food in the tank. I see them on coral colonies I order in when I frag them but I don't ever see them in my system. I'm sure there are some but because I run a low nutrient system I never see them. 15 years ago when I used to over feed I used to have gobs of them. If you have one you already have more. Your system will maintain as many as the food source will allow.

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
No bristle worms are cool. They are part of you CUC but I don't find them necessary if you've got a clean system and a good CUC otherwise.

steved13

PREMIUM
I don't like them, I wouldn't add them, and if I had any I would remove them from my tank if possible. I had some that grew large and I'm not convinced they didn't kill a small clam I had. I'm happy to be rid of them.

Jeremy0322

in all of my systems I have added them to the existing population that finds its way in the walk, in my opinion they fill a valuable role in the clean up crew being able to reach very small spaces that many other organisms can not

DesertOrchid

I have bristle worms in my tanks but not on purpose. I find them to be a nuisance and would never add them on purpose. I've had several very large worms in my 72.... didn't even know they were in there until I was moving rocks around and stuck my hand on one. Not a very pleasant feeling that is for sure. It was probably 6 inches long and was easy enough to remove .... good riddens but I know where there is one there is plenty more. Hard to keep an exceptionally low nutrient systems with so many fish to feed but so far have not seen any real problems from them specifically at this time. Ugly buggers that's for sure!