would this mad idea work ???

brookejk

Ive been thinking of fitting an external sump to my tank but just trying to get an idea as to how i can do it.I allready use the hole in the back for the chiller so i was planning to cut another in the skimmer chamber to allow the water to be pumped to a sump using an external pump but its reterning the water thats the problem.my only idea is to cut out a hole to the left of skimmer(mc 500 not stock) fit a 2nd max fitting kit and have an inlet to the left of skimmer wich if i used an external pump would send water to sump then on return direct water back to chamber 1(wich may need blocking where the fine filter go's poss with glass siliconed in place) wich would pump back to display via stock outlet ???.I want to keep the tank looking stock but it would give me larger water volume and i like the idea of using mud.

Any idea's welcome

Jim

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
"to allow the water to be pumped to a sump using an external pump but its reterning the water thats the problem"

Not a good idea to use one pump to get water down into a sump, and another pump to pump it back up. Sounds like a flood waiting to happen if one of those 2 pumps ever quits, and matching the flow rates down and up would be near impossible.

Most, if not all of us, with a sump use a LifeReef siphon (gravity siphon) to drain water to the sump, and a return pump to pump it back up. If set up properly, on a power failure only so much water will drain down into the sump. When the power to the return pump is restored the siphon self-starts, starts draining water back to the sump. The animated graph on this page might help understand it:

Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums

That's the safest way to do it. The LifeReef siphons were designed for the RSM tanks.

tnwillia

I missed that Terry, thanks!

+1 get the lifereef nano prefilter. Here is my sump install....Good luck!

DSC01641.jpg