would this fuge be enough?

I would like (at some in the future) to try to keep a mandarin. I don't know if i have enough space beneath my tank for a refugium, but I saw this in-tank fuge listed in another thread. I am wondering if it would be sufficient to keep enough pods alive in a 75 gallon reef.

CPR In Tank Refugium

xelnaga15

so fuge promotes pod population? which is what a mandarin feeds on? Also does it matter what order the fuge goes in your system?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Honestly I don't think that could "house" and cultivate enough "Pods" to feed anything. In order to sustain it long term you'll need much more "square footage" than that. Remember these fish do nothing but hunt and eat pods all day every day. It wouldn't take long to wipe out a pod population that small. Plus only SOME of them end up into the display tank so to have enough IN the DT you have to have more total pods. Hope that makes sense.

What about a HOB Fuge? One that hangs on the back of your tank? I have one on my 10g and have TONS of pods. Just keep in mind that a refugium has to "mature" and it wont be a pod mansion right off the back. Like most everything else in this hobby it takes time :)

Good luck and Happy Reefing :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
so fuge promotes pod population? which is what a mandarin feeds on? Also does it matter what order the fuge goes in your system?

Fuge is short for Refugium which means "Safe Haven". It's a safe place for pods to grow and populate. Then they slowly trickle back into the main display tank and are eventually eaten by various critters in the tank.

Does it matter? Well it's most effective if it feeds directly back into the main display tank that way the rate of pods surviving the trip into the display tank is increased. But a FUGE placed ANYWHERE is better than no fuge at all.

xelnaga15

so how would you start a fuge? other than putting sand and cheato and a light 24/7? is there anything else you need?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've got 4 inches of space between tank and wall and cannot move the tank.

Move the wall? *Grins*

If you only have room for the In-tank I would think it's better than NOTHING! But couldn't you also build some type of refuge IN the tank without buying anything? Maybe make a small live rock rubble pile and provide some type of protective enclosure (heard of upside down strawberry basket trick) so pods can get in but nothing else can? It's worth a try. Then go buy a bottle of Tiger Pods and seed the tank. You may get lucky :) But do NOT buy a "Pod-Eater" until you have long term pod-success.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
so how would you start a fuge? other than putting sand and cheato and a light 24/7? is there anything else you need?

to "Start" A fuge it's pretty much that simple. I gave mine a boost with some high quality Live Rock Rubble and a bottle of Tiger Pods. Nice steady slow flow, cheato, sand (some run bare bottom) and a light.

ReefGuy69

How bout underneath or next to your tank? there should be room there for one. I think a 10 gal tank is a good fuge size and can easily be hidden out of site.

How bout underneath or next to your tank? there should be room there for one. I think a 10 gal tank is a good fuge size and can easily be hidden out of site.

That's what I was saying in the first post. I don't think i have room underneath. My sump already takes up most of that space. And the tank is in my dining room, so i kind of don't want another random tank sitting out next to it.

If it can't happen, it can't happen!

Tru2nr

what size do u have for ur sump under ur 75 cuz u should be able to fit a 20L and if thats the case you'll have enuff room for a sump and refugium setup to be built in there...for my 55 cuz uv limited room im going to be doin a 10g sump/fuge system

ReefGuy69

If you wanted to. you could build a small fuge next to your stand on the floor next to your tank. Make it multi purpose. It could work as a fuge and have room for any extras like Phosban Reactor or something like that, plus storage for test kits and supplies. It could be a bench so you could sit and enjoy your tank and make it match your stand or furniture so it blends into your room. Or why not take a section of your sump and DIY some baffles and make a seperate fuge area. You have any pics of your setup, stand and underneath your tank. Ive seen some people have the fuge above their sump. Dont forget there is alot of unused room under there. I used up almost every inch. I have trouble unplugging and plugging in pumps and stuff because i used every inch. Im sure it can be done.

Tru2nr

ok heres an example so you can see of my 10g sump/fuge....one corner the water flows in then the middle section is for the fuge and then the othercorner pushes the water out
top view
DSCN0939.jpg

and a side view
DSCN0937.jpg