would it be better to start over fresh and scrap my current set

nunlef

Hi, My tank has a problem. The water had been really good (for not knowing what the heck I'm doing), so I bought a zoanthid.

It died after 1 week. I'm guessing it was the poor lighting.

I checked the water last night, and nitrites are at 1ppm (API SW master kit). I removed the zoo, and it smelled HORRIBLE. I can't describe what it did to my nose, and I won't just in case anyone has a weak stomach.

We have had a 2 day rampage of cyanobacteria and hair algae (previously only a touch here and there).

My husband now thinks that we should throw out ALL the water and substrate and rock, and start over. I thought that we should just do a big water change, and slowly remove gravel and replace with sand.

OK, who's right (please say me, please say me,.....)

Frankie

RS STAFF
I need more info on the tank to suggest a way out of your problem. Please post all your equipment, live stock water parameters and salt. Also how long this system has been running.
It sounds like you can just go dark for a week with water changes if you have no livestock and save the water and rock.

nunlef

I have a 48g tank, freshwater gravel and crushed coral substrate. I just have a FW hob power filter (we're slowly upgrading, the skimmer gets here tomorrow)
1 domino damsel (2 months in)
4 mollies (3 months in)
1 oscelleris(sp?) clown (5 days in)
1 blue leg hermit crab (2 weeks in)
18lbs man made "rock" formation (only 2 wks old, but pre-cured)
3lbs live rock (mixed, and not that "live")
I had a zoanthid frag in the tank for 10 days, it started getting a white goo all over it right away, and I took it out last night.

All the water levels were perfect up until the 23rd, then last night i checked because our clown didn't look all that great, and these are the levels now;
ph 8.2
ammonia 2.0
nitrate 80
nitrite 5.0

What in the world is going on, 3 days ago both everything was at 0.0.

thanks

Frankie

RS STAFF
IT's called a cycle. Your system was not cycled yet and you added way to many fish. I would return all the fish and let the tank stabilize and cycle out. The Man made rock is leaching out nitrates along with that sand bed that is more like a rock bed with gravel and crushed coral. Detritus is getting stuck in it and breaking down. I would remove the sand bed and start over with just fine reef sand.
I'll chime in later after church with more info. Gotta go!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm with Frankie. You really do need to get rid of the live-stock and start back with just the tank. FW gravel isn't made for SW applications so that's got to go.

Start fresh and go slow. Here are some things for you to read over..

First off you need to check out
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...rs/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

there's a TON of information in that thread for you. The more you know now the better off you, your tank and your wallet will be in the long run. Patience isn't an option it's the rule.... one you'll learn to follow one way or another. The faster you go, the HARDER your tank crashes.

with that behind us, take a look at these threads in detail...

Some tank "basics" for you
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...01-setting-up-successful-marine-aquarium.html

Follow this for ANY new additions to your tank... this could save you a HUGE amount of work and money in the future
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums.../23584-fish-quarantine-process-step-step.html

Testing your tank
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/632618-post3.html

Then read here for some long-term advice on stocking
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/24702-marine-fish-stocking-limit.html

good luck and Happy Reefing :)

nunlef

the tank had cycled before I added any livestock. It had been set up for about a month before adding any critters, and had gone through a spike, and then zeroed out. It took about 3-4 weeks if I remember correctly. I thought that meant we were good to add fish/inverts every few weeks.

Do new tanks need to go through several of those spike/leveling cycles before it's ready?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
In all reality the "Cycle" is something that's always happening to some degree as long as there is water and life in the tank. It's the first initial "Cycle" that is usually the hardest and one that must be complete before adding live-stock.

This is what indicates your tank wasn't fully ready for the bio-load
ammonia 2.0
nitrate 80
nitrite 5.0

nunlef

Is it more likely that that overnight change was a reaction to a "cycle", or could it have been the zoo (green button, i think).

Everything had been doing great until I put that guy in there. Though I do understand the new tank syndrome, we used to do freshwater and I recall my many mistakes during the first year.

Chaos2110

How big is your yank? depending on the tank size you might wanna stay right around 20% of a water change. get you self some trace elements and follow the instructions on the back of the battle. Also grab some marine snow as well. Do not start over because you would have to wait AGAIN.

Rhodes19

Is it more likely that that overnight change was a reaction to a "cycle", or could it have been the zoo (green button, i think).

Everything had been doing great until I put that guy in there. Though I do understand the new tank syndrome, we used to do freshwater and I recall my many mistakes during the first year.

I'm with Frankie and Al. Way to fast and missing some key filtration items. Here is an article on cycling. Its Myth # 15. Its a good read and explains what goes on during cycling.

Mything the Point, Part Three: Conclusion - Reefkeeping.com

Another thing I noticed was the amount of live rock. A rule of thumb is 1-2 lbs per gallon of tank water. So you should have anywhere from 48 to 96 lbs of "live rock". DIY rock needs to be inocculated before it can become live rock and from what I recall reading, that takes several months. There are some similarities between fresh and salt water but there is also big differences as well. Filtration being a big one. Live rock and live sand are important in the filter system. Regular fresh water gravel is too big, you need smaller gain aragonite. Smaller grain equals more surface area for bacterial growth. Aragonite also has some buffering effect that you can not get from FW gravel. If it was me, I would start over with live and base rock, and aragonite substrate, toss in a raw deli shirimp, and let it cook for 2 months. Yes, you will have to "wait again", but at least your system will be set up correctly with that is needed and you will have a stable environment to put your fish, corals, and cash in.

Well, thats my 2 cents. HTH. :)

Chris

joewell

I think you have too many fish added too quickly in a 48g (not much you can do about it now)! Also, buy yourself a nice CUC - they will help! I would also do a min. 10% water change every week. Look into ChemiPure Elite - that will help you a lot!

nunlef

I can't give my fish back, or even loan them to someone with a stable tank, so they are just going to have to tough it out with water changes.

I bought a used 120g tank with overflows this morning. I will be setting this up, and letting it cycle with all the proper equipment, lr, ls, etc in place, while tending to my mistake tank. When it has done it's thing, I will transfer what is alive and/or happy into it.

Since I have your attention, I would like to take advantage of your hospitality more. How clean is "clean" on a used tank. It had only been sitting for about an hour before it got in my truck, and his fish and corals seemed happy. There is a layer of green algae on the overflows (I think that's what they are called, the black columns down the back of the tank) and on the components inside them. I used an abrasive pad, but to get it showroom clean, I would probably need a razor blade. I know not to use chemicals, but am wonderinf if a little algae residu is fine, or does it need to be COMPLETELY scrubbed clean.

Oh, and those black columns are stuck on the glass, so it doesn't look like I can get inside them to really clean it.

BLAKEJOHN

I assume the new/used tank is glas and theerefore you can use a razor to scrape it clean ( be careful not to cut into the silicone. Then a cleaning with distilled vinager and a very good rinse and you should be ready to go.

And yes the two overflows are sealed in. This tank is meant to run with a sump.

Rhodes19

my mistake tank.

Nay, not a mistake tank, its a learning curve tank!!! :D Most of us have had them (or in my case, several!!).

+1 to what BlakeJohn said. Water/viniger solution and be careful with the razor blades. Check and see if the pipes in the overflow can come out. If they do, that will give you more room to get your hand in.

Not to be conceded, but if you check out my 180 build, it should give you a better idea of what you should be doing with your 120. You can also check out other member's builds and see that they have done. Thats where I got a lot of my info and ideas from. :)

nunlef

Nay, not a mistake tank, its a learning curve tank!!! :D Most of us have had them (or in my case, several!!).

+1 to what BlakeJohn said. Water/viniger solution and be careful with the razor blades. Check and see if the pipes in the overflow can come out. If they do, that will give you more room to get your hand in.

Not to be conceded, but if you check out my 180 build, it should give you a better idea of what you should be doing with your 120. You can also check out other member's builds and see that they have done. Thats where I got a lot of my info and ideas from. :)

I did look at your build thread. Very nice, and maybe someday, but the woodworking alone would require I give up my kids for the next month. I'm now trying to zoom in on your plumbing design, I may try to copy some of it if I can, it looks efficient if it's complete.

Rhodes19

Thanks. The plumbing is ready to go. I'm planning on starting to put water in it either tomorrow or Thrusday. :bouncer: Giving up the kids for a month might be relaxing! LOL. Saw dust therapy can be a healthy stress reliever. :D

nunlef

Thanks. The plumbing is ready to go. I'm planning on starting to put water in it either tomorrow or Thrusday. :bouncer: Giving up the kids for a month might be relaxing! LOL. Saw dust therapy can be a healthy stress reliever. :D

my husband and I are waiting, this thread and the 1000+ have been our entertainment for the past week.