Would anyone trust these LED's?

I found these while going through our sponsors websites to see what kind of equipment they had. Well one of our sponsors had these LEDs
High Power WHITE + BLUE LED Aquarium Reef corals grow light

But they had very little info on them so i would not trust that website directly. So i went to the logo on the picture which was LEDwholesalers and found the exact same fixture with more trusting info.
www.LEDwholesalers.com - High Power WHITE + BLUE LED Aquarium Reef corals grow light

So do you think these LED's are worth to trust for a reef aquarium?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I don't know about thses ones but a good bargain out there is Eshine LED's......a few folks on the boards are using them with good results (from what I hear)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Also - Sunlighting is a RS sponsor......post in their section and you should get some answers to your questions.

PIMPALA

if you just want to keep fish, and softies, like some zoas, and mushrooms, GSP, etc. then yes. maybe.

chipmunkofdoom2

Why skip 1w LEDs? I mean wouldnt 1w be ok for like a 40 gallon or 20 gallon long, The shallower tanks?

1W LEDs will give you about the same intensity and depth penetration as PCs. If that's all you want, that's fine, but you're not getting ANY more, no matter how shallow the tank and how close to the water it is. You'll be able to keep low light soft corals at best. Do not allow the marketing hype to suck you in, these LEDs are not in any way comparable to 3-watters.

Thanks for the read and article. Cleared a lot up. I guess ill do what everyone else is doing and stick to CREE for now. I like the SOL fixtures but they are very expensive and i dont hear many reviews on them like CREE. But thanks again!

chipmunkofdoom2

Crees are just the LEDs inside the fixture. The fixture itself, which comprises of design, ascetics, and a manufacturer to support it, is another story entirely. Crees are one of the best, but other brands are good as well (the Luxeon Rebel, while less popular, is still quite able).

It seems expensive, yes, but from some searching it seems you're considering a MH fixture. Let's assume you get a 2x 250w MH fixture, many would agree you should replace the bulbs between 6 and 18 months. If we estimate and say you replace them ever year (12 months), You'll be spending at least $100 every year, not including shipping. If you use your LEDs for 10 years (really, 17 years is possible with today's LEDs), you're saving $1,200 in blubs alone.. and that's with low estimates. Factor in half the power use and less heat (no chiller), and you're coming out ahead with LEDs. That, and most LED lights are just cool. You have so much programmability and flexibility.

If you're in it for the long haul, LEDs are well worth it.

PIMPALA

I am really interested in trying out LED's for either a 10,20L, or 40 breeder for a frag tank light. I already have MH in my room over my 75, and with the heat, i will go with LED's no matter what. Its just the fact of saving up the money to buy it. And i was told that if you go here 60W CREE LED Aquarium Light - LED Grow Light, LED Aquarium Light, LED Lighting... for your CREE light, its cheaper than most other places.

Unfortunately, we here in the USA are not able to order direct from eshine any longer. You have to order these lights direct from Stark LED, and pay their premium prices.

PIMPALA

unless you have a friend that lives in canada or mexico that can order them for you, and ship them to your house. lol

Jackalope

i just had to add.... stray from 1watt leds lol... honestly they are just the same as moonlights... minimal. of course you pour 250 of them and watts per lumen/lux is the same... minimal vs. 3watt

PIMPALA

a cluster of 3 one-watt LEDs is NOT the same as a single 3 watt LED. it doesnt work like that.