Would a hot tub/spa heater work to heat an aquarium?

JGard911

I have been looking for a better way to heat my 150 gallon reef tank and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using a hot tub/spa heater.
The largest inline heater I have seen is only 300 watts and would only heat an 80 gallon tank.
I currently have two 250 watt heaters in my sump. They dont fit very well and always have stuff growing on them.

Something like this inline spa heater
All Parts Pool & Spa : Heaters Complete, Electric : Spa : HydroQuip : PH101-15UP Bath Htr In-Line 120V 1.5kW 3` Cord/Plug
seems as thought it might be pretty efficient, neat and clean.
I would hook it up throught my Aquacontroller for thermostat redundancy.

Any thoughts?

blackwater

does the heater have any metals of any kind exposed to the water? if not i don't see why not....hope others chime in as i have limited experience.

DaveK

I wouldn't trust a pool or spa heater in a SW system. The one in question seems to use a stainless steel tube to the heating element. Unless it's a very high quality stainless steel, it could be a problem. In addition it's 1500 watts, far more than what you need. If it sticks in the on position, you'll quickly have boiled fish.

JGard911

Thanks for your input.
I would definitely supply power to the unit through my controller, resulting in redundant thermostats, and thus hope to prevent boiled fish.
I was hoping that the 1500 watts would just mean that the heating element wouldnt have to work so hard. My two 250 watt heaters that I currently have never seem to shut off in the winter with the ambient temperature in the room around 66.
I thought the stainless was a good thing. What do you think the inline heaters designed for use in saltwater environments use?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks for your input.
I would definitely supply power to the unit through my controller, resulting in redundant thermostats, and thus hope to prevent boiled fish.
I was hoping that the 1500 watts would just mean that the heating element wouldnt have to work so hard. My two 250 watt heaters that I currently have never seem to shut off in the winter with the ambient temperature in the room around 66.
I thought the stainless was a good thing. What do you think the inline heaters designed for use in saltwater environments use?

More than likely ceramic or plastic. Saltwater is some rough stuff.

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

sk8rdn

JGard911 said:
Thanks for your input.

It's not a question of how long they are on... It's a question if how quickly they change water temps. Your fish and corals can't handle rapid swings of more than 3 degrees or so. You want one that is on for a half hour, then off for 2 or 3...

Also, if its on all the time, you either have a cheap heater, or way under sized. A Enheim Jager 300w heats a 275 gallon aquarium, and its about $20 at Drs. Foster and Smith. So, if you have one anywhere close to this size that is on 24/7 then its way under quality.

Also, it may not really be struggling. It may not be properly calibrated. Have you checked yours in a small container for accuracy?

....Secret Super Hero....

It's not a question of how long they are on... It's a question if how quickly they change water temps. Your fish and corals can't handle rapid swings of more than 3 degrees or so. You want one that is on for a half hour, then off for 2 or 3...

Also, if its on all the time, you either have a cheap heater, or way under sized. A Enheim Jager 300w heats a 275 gallon aquarium, and its about $20 at Drs. Foster and Smith. So, if you have one anywhere close to this size that is on 24/7 then its way under quality.

Also, it may not really be struggling. It may not be properly calibrated. Have you checked yours in a small container for accuracy?

....Secret Super Hero....

+1 thats what I'm using for my 220 and it seams like it only comes on for a few min ever few hours and my house temps tays around 67°

Adrien8100

Wouldn't trust anything not made to withstand the vicious nature of saltwater.
I'm totally agree with you.You'r 100% good here that wouldn't trust anything not made to withstand the vicious nature of saltwater.I agreed what's said above!!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Keep in mind that most non "Aquarium" products will use copper for some or many of the heat transfer components in the system because it's so efficient. The last thing you want is copper in your tank. When in doubt.... don't do it :)