Worth switching to LED's?

After a summer of wildly fluctuating temperatures I'm planning on switching the T5's on my S500 to LED's. My tubes are coming up for replacement, the added cost through electricity usage and changing over will probably do away with the need for a chiller makes me think this is the way forward. Has anyone done this and regretted the change? Likewise has anyone done this and been happy with the results? I'm in the dark so to speak when it comes to LED's so any advice would be more than welcome.
Thanks

Sent from sunny Essex

saltfan

I just made the switch and they have been running for only a week so the jury is still out. I do like the dust till dawn feature.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
more than one person i know has made the switch without regret. I've been a card carrying skeptic towards LEDs, but the reviews are getting better. Im considering the switch from T5/MH to LEDs myself.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I switched from T5's to LEDS and love them. The thing with LED's IMO is that although they are fairly new in terms of the hobby they have been around long enough that if they were a flop, it would be known by now.

Aside from all of the cool features like dusk, dawn and lightning storm effects, they really are worth it IMO.

I'm not saying that you need to spend top dollar on the next big name because the truth be told, their are a few big name LED manufactures such as Cree and Bridgelux which most of the manufactures of the actual LED units all incorporate into their fixtures. If that makes sense...lol

If you are the DIY type, I wouldn't hesitate to look into building your own.

Hope this helped:)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I switched from T5s to LEDs about 6 weeks ago & so far I've been please with everything about them. All my (LPS) corals have done well with the change. I've noticed much less evaporation, and the chiller is running less.
I'm not a DIY person & I don't like to have to figure out color combinations so instead of re-ordering T5s I took the route of ordering Steves LED 95% complete build that fit into my RSM 250 hood. Hope they last a good long time because they weren't cheap :D

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
If you don't have sps the go right ahead and switch. However if you do have sps, then you would want to do a bit of research on a suitable led.

Choff

I switched a few months ago on my 650 for all the same reasons: replacement cost and electricity of 10x t5's @80w each + Chiller cost & noise. My chiller did still run for several hours/day for 2 weeks at the height of summer, but we don't have central air. If I was running the t5s though it would have been on 24/7.

My SPS are all flourishing under my Kessil 360s. Check my tank thread in my sig for recent picts and for my LED set up. Search for a recent thread discussing LED options for the RSM S series tanks. I think MDK might have started it.

jerry26

more than one person i know has made the switch without regret. I've been a card carrying skeptic towards LEDs, but the reviews are getting better. Im considering the switch from T5/MH to LEDs myself.

im with you on this one. here lately ive really been tempted to DIY a small setup for my ol ladys bc29.

DaveK

Like a lot of others here, I recently made the change to LED lighting and so far like it a lot, even though I ended up spending a lot more than I wanted to. Yes, I have seen that my chiller runs less a lot less, but considering that the LED lighting replaced MH lighting, that's to be expected. I don't think you see quite the same difference replacing T5 lighting.

I've got to say that while I like the new LED lighting, it's still too soon to tell how it's going to work out long term. It should be fine, but we'll have to wait and see. Please note that most of the people responding to your thread have only had their units a short period of time. Far too short a period to know for certain how LED lighting will work out long term. Keep in mind that if you need to replace an LED module, you'll wipe out your savings for a long time. The more conventional lighting can be repaired with off the shelf, low cost, parts.

In the very early days of LED lighting, more than a few people were disappointed and had some regrets. Mostly this was in the areas of the lighting spectrum not quite being the best for corals, and LED modules in the fixture going bad, and not being able to replace them. Some of the people that bought the original Solaris lighting took a major loss on them. This does seem to be a thing of the past now.

As usual, there are a lot of worthless bargain brand LED lighting on the market. Avoid them, and keep in mind that if something sounds too good to be true, it usually a bad deal.

Akshay

I shifted from MH to LEDs about 2 years ago. My tank had 2 x 150 watt MH floods. It is an open tank & gets 3-4hrs sunlight.
As it is outside, cannot really say if changing the lights have made any difference to the temperatures or power consumption.

For the first few months post change, ran 2 LED floods 15 x 3 watt- all blue. These were LEDs with lenses.
Found the light insufficient, so ran my MH alongwith the LED fixtures.
The system was still not satisfactory. LEDs with lenses are a bad idea, didn't work for me.
Also an SPS reefer friend recently told me that he had bleaching problems with LEDs with lenses.

Anyways I sihfted about an year ago to LED floods (without lenses). These are big individual chips of 50 watt & 70 watt each (not the 1 watt & 3 watt clusters). Currently running 2 x 70 watt whites & 2 x 50 watt blues. The results so far have been superb, better than MH in my view.
Here is a picture of them when they were installed. Also these are super cheap, a 50 watt flood light fixture costs about 50-60$ tops.
20130705_200353_zps3daa5df3.jpg

Now am looking at mixing the white & blue colour range with some deep violet.
So may reduce the white and add another 50 watt violet. Still trial and error, but I really liked the look that violets bring to the tank in one of my friends tanks. Saw a 50watt RGB fixture today that lets you select from ranges of pink to blue with about 5 different shades in between. Will let you know how it works out.

Ive bitten the bullet and changed. Installed 2 AI Hydras today. I thought the tank might look odd without the lighting hood but the Hydras look cool and I like the open look. I couldnt see the point in paying out £200 for a complete set of tubes every 8-9 months, paying the increased electricity bills for the lighting demand which also results in higher water temeratures and also increased power demand for a chiller to cool it down again. Not to mention chiller operation noise. Seemed like a no brainer to me.
I just hope they are good for the livestock.
Its still early days and the power is ramped right down but so far so good!

mr cob

I'm a diehard MH guy, always have loved them, especially my 20k XM bulbs...but a year ago I switched to LED and with the savings I will not be going back to T5 or MH for my reef tanks.

modulok

Can you post some pics of your tank? I am also thinking about LEDs for my S500, but would like to keep the current look of the light fixture.

aqua_digital

RS Sponsor
I think switching from T5 to LED and the experience you get and perception is very much down to what you buy in terms of LED. There are numerous units on the market all stating "full spectrum" "high intensity" etc etc, but thats not the important part, instead how the lamp delivers that light is.

Majority of people will look for the "affordable" option or feel a cheap lamp is as good as an expensive unit because it lights the tank right? This here is the make or break in many cases where the lamp will make you feel the switch was a success.

Ok lets break that down further and much of it comes down to the tools used to deliver that light to your corals.

Doing enough research you will see many LED companies are using the same diodes now. That does not make them all the same. Forgive me for using the highest end LED on the market as an example but it is important to see how people who buy cheap units or less equipped lights can get a bad experience where as those that opt for the full bells and whistles will sing from the roof tops how LED has transformed their system in the long run saving them money as not feeling LED was not for them.

Any LED (as proved by DIY) can illuminate your tank, however multiple diodes shining down on your tank in different colour patterns does not create a spectrum corals are used to. For example a T5 bulb creates a combined light output of varying colours to create the spectrum it delivers, so a GOOD LED unit should do the same.

As an example GHL Mitras uses a unique reflector system that took 2 years in development. The biggest wow factor of the light is that the individual LED's are allowed through refraction to converge, the reflector allows for over 98% of refractive light back to the tank. This is the key point here, you get what you pay for, system like this cost money to develop. Developing such a reflector as the Mitras uses has enabled the lamp to compete with T5, probably the first LED light to be able to do this.

Points of failure for an LED unit are
Hot spots, where the lamp directs beams of light to small areas of the tank, yes this creates huge PAR values but also risks burning the coral at worst, stress at best

Disco ball, This is seen in so many lamps, look at the bottom of the tank and you will see colour separation of the LEDS, they have not converged, this is not how T5 work or look so how can this be of benefit.

Dimming?
One of the biggest draws to LED is the programmable benefits for dimming, however it needs to be deployed correctly. LED lamps are driven by a digital signal for control. Most here I think will understand the digital workings = 010101 binary code = 0-5v or similar control line voltage. there is no in between it is either one or the other.

When an LED dims it does so by a signal line voltage change (a step up or step down) if you look at an LED unit especially at low level of light you will noticeably see the light dim from one set point to the next, set a dimming pattern of 5 minutes from 20% to 0% and just watch it.

How to address this?
Going back to high end units and getting what you pay for . For example the GHL Mitras using a technology (pattented) called LDT "Linear Dimming Technology" what this does is turn the digital output signal into a linear analogue signal with over 4,000 dimming set points between each step, this is way and beyond anything the human eye can see, so when you want rolling clouds across your tank you dont want to see a choppy dimming curve you want a smooth curve, only generated in LED units by changing the output signal to linear analogue.

So in conclusion, to get a real T5 vs LED experience you do need to look a lot closer than just PAR output and price. The lamp has to have the inbuilt technology to compete against T5 in terms of convergence of output of the LEDS at least. We all spend a lot on our tanks and how many times do we buy something and then wish we bought that other one, whether it be food supplement or equipment. Look at the whole package being offered, look at the long term aims of what you want to achieve and look at longevity, its a waste of money buying something cheaper only to throw it away 18 months later.

Ask the manufacturer -
Does your lamp converge all LED's without any disco ball effect? will they guarantee it? return
Genuine indpendant proven spread? will I need more of your lower cost lamps than I would of a more expensive. (often making the more expensive cheaper)
Does the lamp employ LDT? Will I see steps in dimming?
Warranty? should be 2 years in my view.

So is LED worth the switch?
YES - If you buy the right lamp and invest short term in something that delivers what a T5 delivers. If you cut corners then there is a good chance you will regret switching.

Good luck with everyones choices and I hope this insight is of some benefit to the community.

jimv

I switched over a couple of months ago and my tank temps have remained a lot more stable. I have been able to keep a relatively constant temperature of 79-80 vs 83-84 with the T5's. My coral seems to be doing well (after they adjusted). I have developed an algae issue since upgrading but not sure if it is related. I do not run a full spectrum fixture just Cree XTE royal blue and neutral whites at a 2 to 1 ratio.

Tones

RS Sponsor
Did the switch from metal halides to LEDs a while ago when my tank temperatures were up and down constantly during summer. Running a large LED unit at the moment with no heat problems, LEDs let off barley any heat