Worm Keeper conversion

Paul B

I converted my DIY, evaporating chiller, that was already converted from a bio ball chamber to a worm bacteria grower to increase the bacteria in my worm keeper so I can keep many more blackworms. The acrylic thing at the top with the water flowing over plates is the old chiller that is not needed any more since I installed LED lights. It allows for more bacteria to grow to keep the worms fresh and also as a side benefit, cools them. I love re cycling.

DaveK

A very interesting device Paul.

It's also very similar to some devices that were build to maximize gas exchange with the water in years back. CO2 out and O2 in. So that would also help the worms grow better.

Paul B

Yes world hunger can be cured by eating insects, Imu's, duck billed platypuses, aardvarks or Hostess Twinkees. But I feed worms to my fish as I can't afford platypuses.

Danreef

Paul, where are the worms kept in that device ?

I understand the water fall level after level allowing cooling and gas exchange. And after that where it goes. I can not fully understand the system from the picture.

Thank you
Daniel

Paul B

Daniel, The worms are all over the place in there but most of them eventually get to that plastic container you can see on the left in the small fish tank. The "chiller" in that configuration is not being used as a chiller, it is only there to provide more surface area for bacteria to grow. I can add a lot more worms now that I added that "chiller". The water starts in the small fish tank. There is a plastic container in there (the green thing) and in there is a tiny powerhead that pumps water to the chiller. From the chiller it comes down that black tube to the white trough. That picture also shows another tube going into a container in the trough. That is filled with carbon and is fed from another tiny pump. That other tiny pump is now removed and was just there as the thing was cycling. Now the water in the black hose from the "chiller" goes to that container of carbon. It does not have to resemble this weird thing at all. Any tank with moving water can be used to keep worms but if more surface area can be in there, you can keep more worms. The trough and chiller also allow more air to get into the water as there is more surface area for the air to get in the water. The powerhead sits in a container because the worms don't swim and I don't want them in the pump so they stay on the bottom

Last edited: