Worm ID

I caught this swimming around in my RSM 250 after lights out. It was racing around mostly against the glass. I'd previously seen much smaller versions that got eaten by my clown, but this is a bigger one. Any ideas what this is? It moves like it's pissed. Kind off scary, seemed like it would jump out of the dish and come after me!
Hopefully this video link works...

A very big net and some luck! :)

I'm hoping I'm wrong, but I think it could be a "baby" euclid worm. I had a worm incident just over a month ago and I'm thinking it's been having babies which were originally kept in check by my mature clown who I had seen eat much smaller ones. Now that the clown is gone, there's really nothing in the tank that would eat them...

I am not proud of this, but since it was going to die regardless, I added some club soda to the bowl. Maybe a still picture would help someone figure out what this really is? I can't see any of those whiskers usually on euclid worms, but it's pretty strange looking. The red part is covered in some kind of cilli for propulsion. Any body seen this before?

IMG_3003.jpg

IMG_3006.jpg

cbrownfish

Ok, I figured it out from research. This is the sexual form (epitoky) of the Palolo worm. You definitely don't want Palolo worms in your tank, so good job disposing of it.

"Palolo worms exhibit epitoky, a reproductive phenomenon that has evolved to ensure the optimum fertilization of eggs by sperm when they are released externally. The normal worm, at a certain time, converts into the sexual form, or epitoke, by transformation or budding. Gametes (sex cells) form and at specific periods in the lunar cycle these epitokes swarm on the surface, releasing eggs and sperm simultaneously.

In the Samoan palolo worm Eunice viridis, swarming occurs in October or November at the beginning of the last lunar quarter and the local people wait to catch them at this time, netting hundreds from the surface."

attachment.php

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
"the local people wait to catch them at this time, netting hundreds from the surface."

I hate to ask or even think about it, but why? Do they eat these things? Hopefully for fish bait?

Uslanja

That is so cool! Nice find. What a Great Hobby! Look at all the wonderful stuff we would otherwise never see or learn about.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
That looks like great bait for fishing :D

Nice catch there that thing is fast and sporadic.

JandR

I remember this thread and wanted to look it back up to see if yall figured out what it is cause the other night we had about 4 or 5 of these guys at the top of the tank. We scooped them out with a plastic cup but didnt know what they were. So are they really palolo worms and if so why are they bad? We have not seen them again since but just wondering fo future info...

AND THEY ARE FAST!!!!! :eek: lol

seafansar

Dang. I missed my chance to sound all smart. lol. I remebered learning about those in my invertebrate zoology class. Crazy things!

Ssullivan

we get something like them down here in the keys, but they are bio-luminescent we call them "glow worms" and the tarpon love them

thats a bristle worm, I have a bunch in my tank, ive never had problems with them, but some people hate them, theres a big debate over whether or not they are good, to me they are the same as hermit crabs