Wooster & Masna Collaberation

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
An Exciting Update!

I would like to share a wonderful collaberation that will be happening to the school tank. Steve Bentz - Vice President & Dir. of Fundraising/Scholarships for MASNA is personally adopting our tank for the purposes of this organization and will be working directly with me to enhance the Wooster High School Marine Reef experience.

I want to personally thank him and MASNA for "taking" us on. This will greatly facilitate our use of the tank and give us a very focused use for the tank.

I would also like to thank Billy for getting me in contact with Steve!

To give you some background I will share some information on an article from Steve:

"In the meantime, I have adopted two schools to monitor on a regular basis who are planning to report progress on their reef tanks throughout the year. One school is a day care center located in Rhinelander, Wisconsin which houses a 150 Gallon reef tank and the other is Wooster High School located in Reno, Nevada area which is home to a 200 Gallon reef tank. As part of our continued effort to highlight our efforts to assist with the education of our youth in the hobby, MASNA will be reporting the progress of these and other youth learning experiences in our quarterly Marine Scene with hopes to expand the Scholarship Fund web page area to allow the posting of each schools progress and will provide hyperlinks to their web pages to view their journals as soon as is possible.

Please feel free to visit our website at www.masna.org and if you are in the industry or a hobbyist who would like to donate funds or products to be used by schools such as those listed above, please contact me at either stevebentz@hotmail.com or vp@masna.org for more information!"

We will use ReefSanctuary which has so graciously given us a forum here to keep continued updates on our progress!

Cheers!

Please contact me or Steve if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Thats wonderful Rodger! Almost makes me wish i was a kid again in your school.... almost. :) I wish we had teachers into this stuff when i was in school. Good job Billy. karma to you dude!

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Just some updates!

School starts on Monday and I will as I did last year, have students begin to sign on to RS. I have a much better sense of things this year and have the opportunity to use a teacher at our school (She is called a instructional coach now) to assist me with further ideas on how to use the tank more effectively this year.

I make this promise to all of you ~ Students will be posting in our forum and will have some direction. I look forward to the new year and all the FRIENDLY AND HELPFUL PEOPLE HERE TO ASSIST US! :thumbup:

Cheers!

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good luck this year! Lee's finding an interest in dancing now~ wants to be a pop star.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
Updates!

Okay I would like some input from our members on an idea I am developing for our tank. I am considering having students start a science newsletter written for and by my students. It is my idea to focus the newsletter on the school tank. I would make this available to our members or simple post it in the various class threads which I will put up shortly.

I am not sure whether I will do one for each class or make one for all of them. Some possible ideas for sections could be News, Current event summaries, Fish of the week, Invert of the week, student profiles, comics, editorials ect. This is where students could be making posts and asking the members of RS questions about these ideas and for information.

I would love to hear what the members of RS think of this and please share any ideas you may have! I would love to hear them!

Cheers!

boozeman

wonderful idea! :thumbup:
:lol: I like the idea about comics...there are tons of situations reefers encounter which are quite humorous!!

billyr98

I like the of the week... I love going into detail on certain things for people to pick it apart and get the most info out of each topic!

ReefLady

Staff member
Love that idea! Especially the part about it being a collaborative process. I think that will help everyone learn. :)

T