Wood Floors

bearsnut

I have moved into a new house and living in the basement while we remodel the upstairs so right now my tank is with me in the basement. The basement is going to house my man cave after we move upstairs.

So the decision will have to be made to leave it in the man cave or move it upstairs. I might not be in the cave everyday so I do not want my tank to go out of sight out of mind.

So I am thinking about moving it to the first floor, even though the wife is not sold on it. However We have wood floors that I will be refinishing and she is concerned that my tank will hurt the spot it sits on over time.

So my question is will it?
If so what are my options to solve this problem?

sheavens

To be honest I wouldn't worry about it. We laid all new oak flooring about 2 years ago and at first I was really worried about it, but now 2 years on it has several scratches and dents and now it's like who cares! lol. Also think of this, if the tank is never going to move, does it matter if it damages the floor. Having said that, my tanks are in my basement on concrete because I'm worried that the weight of them might send them crashing through the floor of the first floor.

Nob35

Mine is on wood flooring and I have no problem with it. If sunlight hits the floor around it, it may turn the wood darker but will only be able to tell if you move the tank. Other than that just be careful to get any water that spills mopped up quickly. As far as the surrounding area keep it clean and waxed as the drips of salt water may hurt the wood if you do not.

We have bamboo floors. I'd much rather have the wood. You can see any water that drips so you can clean it up quickly. You can also put towels down that absorb water that may hit when working on the aquarium. If you put towels on carpet the water is still getting transferred from the towels to the carpet. With wood you just mop and done. We have had so many accidents on the bamboo and you really can't tell at all.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I had the exact same concern when I learned we were moving my tank onto wood floors... and to make matters worse we knew it was going to be temporary (it's a rental apartment) and I didn't want to worry about damaging the floors and having to pay to fix them. The one thing I did was get a "commercial/industrial" rug (like goes in front of an entrance to a business) and put it under the tank. It's rubber backed with a heavy duty carpet on top. I was lucky to get one that was just barely larger than the tank itself so it isn't very obtrusive. It's there just to catch small drips/spills directly around the tank.