Wondering why?

siavashv

I have a new RSM 250 and love it. However, I have been reading all these threads that people have posted, including my own about different issues and I wonder... Why do we think RSM 250 is so awesome even though we end up replacing a lot of the components from what is stock? I mean, most of the super successful people in this club basically only use the stock lighting (and some not even that) and the glass tank. So why not get a tank and stock it with equipment that is better than what Red Sea sends it out with? I am new to the hobby and love my tank... One of the main reasons that I got the RSM 250 was because of it being all self contained and I am limited on space. But I just wanted to get others' perspective?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lots modify thier tanks because they enjoy doing so & it's part of the fun of the hobby & they can make them even better than stock.

I run stock and love my RSM - plus I am not great at DIY projects :)

IMG_1639zzz.jpg

siavashv

Wow! Amazing looking tank! I know that this hobby is customizable and that is one thing that I love too... but then why not all custom items? wouldn't it be cheaper? I am in no way knocking people that buy them, I'm one of them. But I just wonder why? Dude your tank is ridiculous. Wow! you are seriously running everything stock? pumps, skimmer, no chiller?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Only a 130 here, but as with many 250 owners I was fed up with skimmer noise, heat from the big skimmer pumps that Red Sea uses, and erratic skimming, so that was the first thing to replace. After that I replaced everything else. Some owners like to tinker with things, others replace things out of necessity.

tnwillia

It was my first Reef tank, I wasn't ready to build from scratch so this was an outstanding learning tank. Most of my mods were for fun as Glenn said. A few I needed, but most were learning what I could do with it and what I'd have to do down the road on a non-AIO tank. You have the best of both worlds with this tank. Have fun with it!

steved13

PREMIUM
I bought my RSM 250 after being absent from the hobby for many years (20+ years). I thought I wanted something simple like an all in one solution. I got hooked, I found the hobby had changed, and success was more attainable, and the gadgets are cool. After some good advice here and a couple of good LFSs, I expanded and improved and now thinking about an even larger system. I may have gone a different way had I known then, what I know now, but I still think the RSMs are the best looking systems made.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think nanoreefing4fun hit the nail on the head.....everyone likes to tinker but some appreciate the ease of the original system. Everyone in this hobby has a defective "keep it simple" gene and likes the challenge of taking an ocean and its inhabitants and putting it in a small glass aquarium. No one is right or wrong but one thing is for sure, you can make anything work as long as you are dedicated to it so I say "to each his own"!!!!

Cheers :apint: