wish me luck

theskunk

today wile walking my dog my wife went into the LFS down the block from my house to get some more shells for the crabs...one killed another for his shell. she asked if they needed any help and they said yes actually they did so she brought me in. the owner will be calling me tomorrow to work something out...looking at about 15 to 20 hrs a week. i currently dont work as i am a full time student but it has become incredibly boring.:invisible

mps9506

I did the same while I was getting my bio degree. Actually I was working ~30hrs a week and then volunteering ~12-14 hours a week at the state aquarium, in addition to being a full time student.
Not fun at all, but now that I've graduated, life is only as stressful and as hectic as I want it to be.

BoomerD

Uh-Oh...now skunk's gonna be that guy we always hear about..."The guy at the LFS said..." ;)
Congrats. I spend my time cleaning tanks and bagging fish for people who really had NO idea what they were buying. Remember, while you can advise, you have to sell them what they want...agree with it or not. I HATED that part of the job...

theskunk

Boomer i just hope to help people from making mistakes and killing livestock....and ofcourse getting my hands on some frags haha

mps9506

theskunk said:
Boomer i just hope to help people from making mistakes and killing livestock....and ofcourse getting my hands on some frags haha

That first part is a lot harder than it sounds. It's amazing how many people are soooo good at killing anything that touches their aquarium. There are seriously people in this world that should not have an aquarium. It will seem like sometimes they all shop at your store :)
I've worked for three diff't places since high school. I see the same people in diff't incarnations at every place.

lcstorc

Best of luck. This could give you some great experience.
I guess I am actually spoiled. My primary lfs is a one man shop and he has refused more than once to sell me something I wanted. Maybe because of my system, maybe my other inhabitants, and maybe because the livestock is not up to his health standards, I have had him refuse for all 3 reasons at different times. As a result he has earned my long term business and made far more money than the guy who sold me the mandarins for a brand new tank.

theskunk

ill tell ya i would rather have my lfs help me than to just make a quick buck off me....we are all in this for the same reason.....we love it...oh and its as addicive as crack.....lol

BoomerD

Oh yeah, theoold employee discount...that always cost me more than it saved me...1st pick on fish and corals...and a discount...I tried my wife's line ONCE
"But honey, look how much I'm saving us..."
Funny enough, she expects that to work on me, but when I used it...she didn't buy it...

theskunk

well the owner called me today but i didnt hear my phone ring....i was cleaning my bathroom (i would have to say the worst job ever) so i went down to the store (like i needed a reason) but they were closed. lets hope he calls back soon