Winter temp

sneaks03

So with winter coming up I know many of us will be dropping the overall temperature range in our houses. So that brings up the question, do you also drop the temperature range of your tank? Of course if you do this I hope you do it slow. Just thought it would be neat to find out what others plan on doing for the winter.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
My controller slowly drops it over the course of a few months but it's only a total of 2 degree drop. Remember when dealing with the oceans only the upper most layers experience a great deal of change. Except for maybe a large storm or something after you get a few feet deep it's fairly constant (for that region).

Jeremy0322

Its really not necessary to drop the temperature in about 99.9% of cases. If you try and do this without the use of a controlling and a chiller/heater combo you may be asking for trouble, it would more than likely be hard to accomplish safely. I would suggest just leaving the temp at where its at for almost all tanks out there.

Now, if you have the necessary equipment and are trying to do something like breed corals or picky fish and want to go as natural as humanly possible then i dont see a huge reason not to, but just trying to do this through manually turning down a heater in very little increments is just waiting for a problem in my opinion.

reefsmoker

I will be aiming to keep mine between the 77-79 range.

lol, thats what my tank is now 77.5-78.5 1 deg swing between day/night
if my tank ever hits 80 which it did before a chiller i started to freak a little, but now it's constant - and everything is happy happy!
So if your tank is currently 80ish, i wouldn't think droppin it down to the range i use wouldn't harm anything at all - in fact you'll prolly see less nuisance algae growth.