Winter Shipping

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I'd like opinions PLEASE.....
I'm wanting to order some Amphipods & copepods to stock my refugium with....
Should I chance the Winter freezing cold temperatures or WAIT for WARMER Spring weather?
I've never ordered any so I'm not sure of their shipping requirements.

reefle

Overnight should be fine, but probably not 2-3 days which online stores usually do for pods.

I know reefs2go adds heat pack things to their packaging in the winter.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think it is doable, especially with pods. Obviously overnight it if you can (get a pooled order with someone) but you can also look to time it if you see warmer weather come through. Most companies will put 24/48 etc hour heat packs in the boxes. I think shipping in cooler weather is better than shipping during the dead of summer.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I've ordered livestock during all times of the year. Just make sure you look at the weather where it's coming from and on your end, ie, you wouldn't want anything shipping to you during this ice/snow storm that we're having. That means checking where it might be coming through as well, for example, most everything I get goes through Memphis prior to Little Rock. I've gotten great shipments of pods from reefcleaners. If you need to replenish your clean up crew, that would be a good option. I've also gotten live mysis from liveaquaria. Both are very good options.

ziggy

diana - was it a pain to add the sump/refugium to your 250? waiting to pull the trigger on a c-250 and as a newbie I see you, goma and 3 others are like top 5 helpers within RSM?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Thanks for the opinions! I'm looking at ordering from reefs2go out of Florida. I've read good reviews about their Amphipods/copepods orders. BUT, I think I better WAIT until I see the weather in my area will be warmer than it us right now. :( I can see possible DELAYS and transport cancelations in the currant weather conditions.

@ziggy, I ordered my sump/fuge from Jeff at LifeReef
http://www.lifereef.com/nano.html
He builds them to fit the RSM 250 set ups. I'm not a DIY (do-it-yourselfer) person AT ALL. It want FUN for me but it wasn't unbearable torture to install it. :yup:
I think I'm just enjoying spending boo-koos of money trying to improve on a already good enough tank.
I'd advise to get your tank and learn how it works BEFORE changing anything about it. You can make up your mind gradually what (if any) modifications you want to make later.
THIS (Reef Sanctuary) IS THE BEST HANG OUT EVER for RSM Owners....so stick around!! :thumbup:

david42

I just received order of pods from Reefs2go this week. Their packaging is great. Styrofoam box with heat pad. Don't think you will have any problem.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Sitting here thinking (while I'm ICED IN!)....
Everyone here knows what it's like to WAIT on getting SW stuff :banghead:
This ICE, snow and below freezing temperature better hurry & get GONE!
I want to order some SW BUGS :tears:

Choff

I'm with PSU, animals generally have a much better shot at cool vs warm. I order a lot in the winter here in Northern Mass and never have had any issues. Most good shippers put in heat packs and tape up the seems of the styro which makes a difference.

...stupid auto correct

Oxylebius

If you are worried about it, you can always fedex overnight and pickup at facility vs having the box in a cold vehicle driving around before it is dropped off at your house. That way the critters are not only exposed less to cold air, but will spend less time in the box since you can pick them up right away in the morning when the facility opens. Find a fedex facility around you that accepts shipments and then find out if the company you are purchasing from will accommodate that, some do, give the fedex address as the shipping address (with your name of course).

BTW the heat packets work when exposed to fresh air, after a while in the box they loose their heat b/c they aren't being exposed to fresh air. If you check the heat packets first thing when you open the boxes they are cool and w/in a minute of being exposed to fresh air again they heat up.

Now even though I mentioned about the heat packets, keep in mind that the critters are shipped in Styrofoam containers and are well insulated, as long as you receive the box w/in 24 hours you shouldn't have any issues with critters being shipped in winter.

Great advice above - make sure there isn't going to be a storm in the location you are shipping from and to.

DaveK

I'd like opinions PLEASE.....
I'm wanting to order some Amphipods & copepods to stock my refugium with....
Should I chance the Winter freezing cold temperatures or WAIT for WARMER Spring weather?
I've never ordered any so I'm not sure of their shipping requirements.

Here is my take on winter shipping. It can be done, but things go wrong a lot more often. You can pay for next day air, but if you get hit with a bad storm, like some parts of the country are currently in, you are not going to get fast delivery. Yes, you will likely get the cost of the order, and maybe even the shipping refunded, but you got to "jump through the hoops" for that. Also, next day air shipping is expensive, and not really needed for pods.

I would say wait till spring and then order, unless it's something you must have right now. You want warm weather, not the heat of summer.

As for your specific problem, you should be able to seed the refugium by adding a piece of LR from your display tank, assuming there are a few pods there, or from another tank that is populated with pods. Maybe even buy a couple of good live rocks from you LFS.

Choff

Got 2 packages today. Weather isn't bitter cold, but in the high 40s. Jason fox came in toasty warm and both heat packets were still warm. Both diver den boxes came in much cooler and the heat packets were cool to the touch. I didn't check them after they hit the air. All 3 boxes shipped within an hour of each other at approx 5.00 pm yesterday and all arrived by 10 am.

...stupid auto correct

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think you would be fine, but get overnight shipping if really worried.

Can I ask why the RANDOM caps?
I think I will wait only until there's a week with UPS drivable roads....so it will be sooner than Spring. :)
:LOL: I kinda LiKe RANDOM caps, that's WHY :LOL: