Will's New (old?) 20L

Newt

Try a few Emerald Crabs, they are known to sometimes eat bubble algae, we have a couple at my LFS that did a great job decimating our bubble population.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ohhhh ok. It is probably just 'new tank' syndrome. Cynobacteria... bleh! The bubbles are oxygen that the algae creates during photosynthisis.

Read this: http://reefsources.itgo.com/features/articles/cyanora.html

In summary, there are several things that you can do to rid your tank of nuisance algae, and most of them are probably good ideas anyway. Listed below is a recap of those items:

Protein skimming
Maintenance animals
Increased flow
Feed lightly
Vacuum substrate or bottom
Harvest algae
Stop adding supplements
Regular water changes
Use RO/DI water
Top-off with Kalkwasser
Regular bulb changes
If you implement these things, you can say cyano-ra to nuisance algae.

corvettephreek

WOW!!! thanks alot woodstock!!! I am actually thinking of doing an external overflow to a 10G for a sump, so my skimmer can be more effective. I might actually change some of my LS out, im not sure yet. what kinds of creatures do you think I should use? crabs? some type of fish? thanks again!!! :D

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
It should be a temporary algae problem... Vaccum it out in the late evening then leave the lights off for a few days. Also follow the suggestions in my previous post.

I would get a variety of snails and maybe a few scarlet hermits (witfull is gonna get me for saying that). I believe queen conchs eat cyno; just be ready to take it out when it grows too large. :)

corvettephreek

Damn MY LFS!!!!

ok... they had a few things at my LFS I just could not pass up. In my nano.... I put a gumdrop Goby hes sooo cute!!!! :D .... in the 20L I put 5 Lbs. more LR and a candy cane coral, Sea Hare, and 2 scarlet Hermit crabs... I ordere the gumdrop, and OOOOHHH MMAAAANNNN is he small but cuuute!!! and the sea hare is creeping me out.... every time i turn around and look back hes gone.... he is colored EXACTLY like my LR.... scared the hell outta me when i thought a peice may have dropped and come to find out he was completely on the other side of the tank. but so far so good, water change inevidable sunday, and pix should come tomorrow. :D

Newt

Sea Hares are ugly, I agree. The one creepy looking thing we have at the LFS I work at...a Scutus, he's huge, and he started to eat some of our WSPs before we caught him. :columbo:

corvettephreek

NOOO..... I love star polyps... well im sorry to hear about that..... hopefully he wont eat mine, i found him today and pet him.... lol.... hes staying on the other side of the tank (where the algae is) and so far everything is doing great... I couldnt find batteries for my cam so ill have to wait till tom. for pix... :( even my GF agrees with me in thinking the new layout is much better :D

corvettephreek

update!!!

ok, I decided to do a water change, my algae was most likely caused by phosphates, or nitrates... I was cool for about a week, ad i checked my trates again just to make sure.... and they were 40 PPM!!! not cool. water change like woah.... lol. so today, after the water change, I upgraded my nano as well. well, heres the updated pix:

20L, as it is today:

Can you find the sea bunny?? (hare) lol
What I had to do to make a seaclone work:

the "clown side" yo.... :D

and finally... the top view:

now!!! for the updated mini-reef (nano)

full pic: I like this alot better.

and my gumdrop goby is lovin it.

well that is it for now.... more to come soon. :D

Last edited:

corvettephreek

ok as i am starting to doze off with a cat in my lap, I look over and see I am not the only one dozing off. :D this was just tooo cute not to post. Now keep in mind the goby is about 1 inch long, and the mushroom is about 1.25" in Dia. :D enjoy....!!!

Attachments

• ahh_socomfy2.JPG
    ahh_socomfy2.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 29

corvettephreek

ok I gots a question. should I run a heater to maintain my temp. in my nano? my temp stays between 72-78 throughout the day. its a 2.5USG with a whisper in-tank filter, and a CA 30 PH. TIY!!!

corvettephreek

a little update on the nano, goby died, so I got a little baby perc to cheer up the rest of the critters in the tank. isnt he cute? :)