Will's New (old?) 20L

corvettephreek

What started out as my 26 Gallon Jebo ended up to be a 20L after a bad incident made the switch inevitable last saturday Afternoon. I was moving from one apartment to another, and with my TV, desk, and cat I had 3 tanks to move. easy? no..... I moved one tank, and only had 2 left. a 20L "guppy farm" (lovingly called) and my mini-reef. after emptying the contents of my reef tank, I went to move it with some help of my father. upon picking it up I had heard a CRACK!!, and we set the tank down..... it had split from the top front right corner to the middle front (curved corner-bow front). well, I had to quickly destroy my 20L guppy farm to fix the problem, but it all came out OK. Now I still have everything, except 3 leather frags which were RTN during transit.... (?) a couple of zoo rocks, and some small LR rubble which were in the sun too long without water.... :( I will post more info and pix tomorrow afternoon since today I added a fan to the canopy, fixed my lighting issue and got 2 timers (one for actinic, other for 1000K, fan, and surface PH). I had some plans for a 75, but I have to scrap the idea for a short while to make room for my new truck payment...... new Apt., new reef (kinda), new truck...... this is all too new for me!!! lol. more on this story as it progresses... :)

Goodbye JEBO...

Goodbye Guppies.... :(

Hello new beginnings!!! :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Bummer about the tank cracking!! Bye-bye guppies~~ Did it have anything in it when you tried to move it or was it completely empty? It seems like it should have been able to support itself during a move....

rckmtl

If it is still within the warrenty period, i'd try and get a replacement. Jebo's come with a decent warrenty don't they?

corvettephreek

I am not sure.... i trashed it since I called my old LFS (the not-so-bright ones) and they laughed at it. so I just wont go there anymore. I love the 20L more because of the rock placement and such anyway. :)

corvettephreek

ok update! so far the Anemone is OK, he just ate a goldfish. my Polyps are all closed because i just woke them up. :( everyone seems to be doing OK except my plate coral. I moved him off of the sand onto a small peice of LR rubble (to get him like 1/4" off of the sand) and try that. It seems like its not so happy, the little tentacle things arent out like they used to be, and the edges seem a little not-so-colorful as they used to be. I will see how this develops, but If it doesnt make it, my LFS will give me credit for him. well, here are the pix: (goby is still confused, of course :lol: )

Attachments

• 20Lreef.JPG
    20Lreef.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 133
  • platenothappy.JPG
    platenothappy.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 128
  • westside.JPG
    westside.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 128
  • gobyconused.JPG
    gobyconused.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 131

corvettephreek

thanks EEK!! hoping to have some more life in this one.... :) just did a water change, and I think the plate coral may have perked up a tiny bit. I am not holding my breath, but I am crossing my fingers. ;)

Salinity 1.025@76 deg. F
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Calcium 380 PPM

I might switch to reef crystals soon, after this bag of salt runs out (IO). anyone like the RC instead of IO?? more to come soon :)

corvettephreek

One more question.... My Plate coral is shedding alot of mucus in long strands..... some from the mouth, some from the edges..... does this happen occasionally or should I just look for a new friend? TIA!!

wooddood

the wood dude
corvettephreek said:
One more question.... My Plate coral is shedding alot of mucus in long strands..... some from the mouth, some from the edges..... does this happen occasionally or should I just look for a new friend? TIA!!

sorry never had any luck with plate corals, had a few but always seems that they dont like transition to a new home. at least thats always been the case with me. i dont think they handle stress like a move very well. good luck with it hope it does well for you.

dave. :smoking:

corvettephreek

LOL. thanks guys.... I gotta go to the store sometime soon, so Ill probably just return it. but it did something the night before the move.... it opened its mouth kinda quickly, and it let out this darker substance (kinda cloudy) that spooked the fish out....(they went into hiding for a couple minutes) .... the DAY I moved, it was puffed up really bad like it was stung by a couple hundred bees.... its weird, and I am confused. lol. I think installing too many stereos and playing with fiberglass is finally getting to me.... :turntable :columbo:

corvettephreek

OK, I returned the plate and got a skunk cleaner shrimp. now I also got a 10 Gal. holding tank for my goldfish feeders.... now I have a one gallon corner tank I am trying to decide on what to do....nano? betta? Mini FO??? or FOWLR??? too much..... what do you think?

corvettephreek

ok, here are the results of being Will and thinking too much... :D a new PICO reef.... a 1 gallon tank, under a regular bulb until tomorrow, and Ill get a 50/50 bulb..... so far its got a couple of baby zoos.... mushroom, and apparently a bristlework.... my hands shreiked when i looked in the tank.... hes just swirling around the LR..... makes me shudder..... but everything should be fine for a bit until it gets re mini-cycled.....

corvettephreek

thanks gina, bigreepher... Goby is doing ok, slightly skinny, but I am spot feeding him as much as possible.... everyone else is doing a little better now that the plate coral is out of the picture. as far as my nano, I was thinking of a couple more zoos, and my LFS guy told me to come back in a few days, hes going to have an acan frag for me :D. definitely a baby skunk cleaner, or a sexy shrimp..... decisions, decisions.... lol.

corvettephreek

skunk cleaner made it in.... but no acan.... the bristleworm is moving around like mad in there, and wouldnt ya know it? my camera batteries are dead.... :( I go back to my LFS on friday after I get paid :D.... need more LR and I want something different. anyone know how to stop bubble algae? kidna gettin on my nerves. mini catbox scooper? LOL. thanks for everyones help thus far. lets see what I come up with on Friday?.....

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
corvettephreek said:
......I also got a 10 Gal. holding tank for my goldfish feeders.... ....

Feeding marine fish/corals 'fresh water diets' is not a good idea IMO. You can buy the frozen silversides and store them in your freezer (takes up less room than a 10 gal :) ), then simply thaw one before feeding time. I have always fed my anemones silversides.

Valonia?? eeeek! I have that too! A huge PITA and unfortunately there is no cure :( I've been trying for years to rid my tank of the stuff. I twist as many off as I can with every water change. Try not to pop them; I've read that they are full of spores. If you figure out a cure you can get rich fast!! :D

BTW..you tank is looking great!! :turntable

corvettephreek

the goldfish feeders are actually for this guy in my FW tank. he eats around 6-10 daily. if there are any dead ones (just died) i feed them to the anemone, but rarely if that. I will take your word on the silversides, my buddy uses them for his coral cat shark and it loves them. and woodstock: the "bubble algae" I am refferring to isnt really like caulerpa or the actual algae that is common. I am referring to a slimy algae nusiance that is covering EVERYTHING!!!!!! its bright green, slimy, and it has bubbles all over it. when i blow water over it with a baster it blows the bubbles off (product of photosynthesis?) but it is starting to blanket my SB. its annoying because I cant really do anything with it. all the LR is fine, except for a weird sponge that popped up out of nowhere, but the entire back of the tank, sandbed, and my thermometers, EVERYTHING is covered. its starting to scare me honestly. could this be a product of the mini cycle? its been about 2 weeks almost since my major move. could something be dead and I not know it? I also reduced my light timers to help, if at all. 7 hours, (12-7) for daylight, 11 hours for actinics (11-9). i reduced feeding, and i dont know what else to do. I IZ CoNfuuuuZZeDdD :columbo: TIY for ANY help.