Will this size sump work for RSM 250?

Canuck007

Hi

I have the older RSM 250 and thinking of doing an Lifereef overflow to a sump below. My question is my sump is 16x13x12h and was wondering if that is enough volume to have? My skimmer will need water to be at 7" depth so I'll have another 5" above that for drain water in case of power shuts down and the overflow stops working.

Is that enough volume to have?

Last edited:

DaveK

Keeping in mind that the RSM 250 is an all in one system, and that it works fairly well right out of the box, the question becomes, what do you expect to get out of adding a sump?

As you can see, it's not going to add that much water volume. It will add additional equipment, and give you a place to hide some equipment.

You might do as well just leaving thing alone, or putting the money toward that 500 gal or so system you really want.

Canuck007

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, it's basically to add media reactors, a better skimmer and hide any other equipment. Not looking to spend money on a whole new system. I already have a skimmer, media reactors and the sump. Just would need to get the overflow box. And honestly I like messing around with plumbing and trying to improve the system. And I like the look of this tank so I didn't go for a standard setup.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
lots of members have added a sump & being this is our hobby, there no wrong answer... like do I need one... most things hobby related are not a "need" but part of the fun ... adding mods :)

stock works great but adding a sump can make it even better...

take a look at the ones Jeff from Lifereef made for the RSM 250 here...
http://www.lifereef.com/nano.html

the size stated may help... and design if you go diy - hope this helps - adding a better skimmer is a great upgrade, imo & a sump allows you to do this :nessie: post us pics ! :clink:

Canuck007

thanks for the link. ideally i would like a sump that size. never made one but maybe I should build my own to fit my specific needs. do you think the refugium is a good addition/necessary? i've never really had one on my previous tanks.

Danreef

I have always tried to have a refugium and with the RSM 250 I was very lucky that I have a room beside the tank, that was a tool room. Well now is tool + aquarium hobby room :) . I added in that room a fuge. Pump send water through the wall to the fuge and return by gravity to the tank. You can see pictures starting at ~ page 13 of my thread.

Going to the point of nanoreefing4fun I never took into account the speed of the water through the fuge. I used what I had. Sometimes was slow, others was fast. The macros will be always there to take phosph. out of the water so I think that a fast rate is good because your tank water pass through the fuge many times/day and keep the Macro surrounded by reach nutrient water. Like in the ocean, algae are very well all day under strong currents.

As always, I am sure there are many threads around that topic. But sometimes you have to use what your system allows you. Sumps, most of them, are designed to have a fuge in the middle and sometimes the return pumps are very strong, and the fuge works.

Cheers
Daniel

Leo

Hey there! I have an RSM250 Tank.
I built my own plumbing overflow down to sump/ Refugium. Got ideas from others here as well as you tube. My pump below is external. Sump is 18"x14"x16". Roughly 9" of water reside in sump with skimmer and probes. RODI is constant. With dual protection against overflow. If power does fail, I have enough room in sump with water from top tank coming down and still leaving 3" to spare. My sump is chopped up separately inside. Since it fits in horizontally. The back is for the skimmer, the middle will host my Refugium, and the front ( closer to the door of tank) is where the water return,s to the tank after passing thru the chiller. The front portion is only 3" deep.
Hope this helps. I'm new to this as I've been out of it for around 8 years. Love the look of the tank, but understand the desire to tinker and the advantages to a sump/Refugium and a better skimmer!!

Canuck007

Daniel, yeah I think I want to try the refugium and see what kind of an effect it has on the tank. Had one long time ago but did a terrible job with it and the chaeto basically died and the lighting wasn't on as it did work etc etc...a poor attempt the first time.

Leo, thanks for the details of your system. I would love to see some pics of our sump and overflow setup. Your info was definitely useful but pics would be great! Thanks!

Last edited:

Leo

There are some pics in my page in Red Sea max owners club. It's called
Leo's Red Sea max 250(D) Journey!
The only thing that I don't see are the photos taken from the top. I'll see if I can re-add them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
@Canuck007 was wondering what you decided to do....
Are you going to add a sump w/refugium?
I admire all you DIY reefers. Plumbing is scary to me, so I just bought the whole LifeReef overflow/sump/refugium.
I thought it would benefit my tank. Maybe it has in some ways, but maintaining a refugium has not been lots of fun for me.
Growing massive amounts of Chaetomorpha has not provided an algae free tank. I thought it would...but NO, I still deal with GBA, GHA & now major Bryopsis.