Will my GBTA ever come out in the sun?

DrHank

Tomorrow's feeding day. Still in the same spot. Still has same coloration. Alternates between opening and closing. Tentacle extension still minimal. It's just trying (successfully) to frustrate me. It appears to be doing fine just being stubborn.

panmanmatt

Well at least he's still healthy enough to aggravate the heck out of you. Hopefully it'll come out of hiding soon.

DrHank

Yea, I think he's found his purpose in life, to aggravate me. I'm sure that one day when I've completely given up on him he'll be out in all his glory fully inflated behind some rock so I still can't get a good look at him.

DrHank

Well, he's still in the same spot but took a nice sized sliver of shrimp today. I'll try feeding him again on Saturday or Sunday. He didn't hesitate at all in grabbing the shrimp so I guess I don't have to worry any more about him not eating. My clown fish hasn't seemed to have discovered him yet.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Keep feeding it in that spot and it will stay thinking it is a cherry spot for food. Try starving it out for a month or two.

Frankie

RS STAFF
You also have to be careful not to over feed it. They digest very slowly and if over fed, the food will rot inside it. I only fed mine once a month when i had them and they all looked great.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I agree with Frankie :)
Actually overfeeding anemones can be fatal. The only time I recommend feeding regularly hosting anemones is when they are in poor condition like when they expelled their zooxanthellae, otherwise feed sparingly. It's possible that this BTA is from deeper water and is still acclimating to the more intense light, just give it some time and it'll be fine.

DrHank

Will do! Appreciate your input. It still seems quite content to remain under the rock it selected. I'm just going to give it more time and see what it does in September. At this rate it may come out by Christmas. Oh well, it's in there, doing OK (i think), so now I'm going to just ignore it for a while.

caitrina

I got a GBTA yesterday because I am so sick of my clowns killing almost everything wavy because they want to host in them and are just too rough. Well, Doc, don't feel so bad you aren't alone...get this, I get Nem, bring home to clowns, they look at it, don't go near it, I put nem where I want it, they still keep looking at it, I turn my back, come back a few minutes later and GBTA scooted where it wanted, right smack dab between some rocks and what else happened in the mean time, the clowns are saying "hello " to it so I grabbed camera real quick and now they are all over the thing where I can't see them either .......I tell ya, bring them a present and this is what happens...sigh....anyway, just letting you know that mine is doing the same thing as yours (bet it read this post) :invisible: Hope you see yours by Christmas.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff314/caitrinia2000/BTA024.jpg

Frankie

RS STAFF
That bubble tip lost all it color Caitrina. Other then that it looks very good. I would like to see how it looks in a month from now. I have been noticing at the lfs that the quality of anemones are very poor lately. It is very sad. I remember a day when there were just awesome colors coming in all the time.

caitrina

That bubble tip lost all it color Caitrina. Other then that it looks very good. I would like to see how it looks in a month from now. I have been noticing at the lfs that the quality of anemones are very poor lately. It is very sad. I remember a day when there were just awesome colors coming in all the time.

Yeah, he isn't real green, but he is a little greener than this picture shows. I am hoping that with proper care he will get a lot greener.

caitrina

Hey Doc, my nem is doing a walk about...I liked it where it was to be perfectly honest with you...it was being a good little nem there, not hurting anyone, and minding it's own business.....CRap!!!!

DrHank

It finally moved. It's out from under the rock and along side my big toadstool. It's at least partially shaded and open. It looks like a WBTA. That's a white bubble tipped anemone. The mouth and tentacles are white and the body maroonish brown.

Should I feed it again or just watch for a fw days and see what it does?

caitrina

Yipeee I am glad it is walking out where you can see it. I can't help you about the feeding part though. I was reading somewhere about feeding them too much though sooooo...hey it may have been in this post?????????

DrHank

It's only been 10 days since I last fed him so I think I'll just watch him for a few more days. I'm hoping that he'll start to color back up next. He looks OK so I'm not in any rush.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Since the Anemone has bleached then yes I would try to feed it and continue to feed it about once a week until it recovers.