Will less fish reduce algae

levilee

Hi guys, im getting really fed up with algae growth in my 130D ,and am thinking maybe getting rid of one of my fish to help reduce it. I currently have 2xclowns, 1x yellow tang, 2x blue star damsels and 1x foxface rabbit fish. My question is will getting rid of the foxface help reduce algae and keep the tank looking clean for longer???

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Isn't the 130d a smaller cube tank? If so then I would get rid of the tang and the foxface.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
You do have a lot of fish in a 34 gallon tank - reducing you bio-load will help. But if I were to venture a guess it's a combination of things... starting with to many nutrients from overfeeding.

Read through this thread & see if the tips help... http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/66048-brown-green-algae-new-tanks.html

How many snails do you have? What chemical filtration do you run? How often do you do water changes? ro/di? what %? how often do you feed & what? How much? Can you post some pics... with this... bet the RS members can help...

But again to answer your question - yes

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

steved13

PREMIUM
Short answer is yes. Algae needs to be fed, it feeds on fish waste, (uneaten food is also fish waste)

+1 the tang and the foxface should go. It will be better for your tank and those fish.

N83259

+3. Both those fish get too big for 34 gallons. They need room to swim.

But getting rid of the Foxface & Tang is no guarantee that your algae problem will just disappear. Do you measure nitrates & phosphates? Maintaining low nutrient levels will solve the problem, and the right bio load is a good start. Prudent feeding, regular water changes & other techniques in the link Glenn lists above will be a great help.

levilee

Ok thanks for all the advice guys. The Foxface will be moving out soon. I do 10% water changes every 6-7days without fail and do all the water checks too.