will chaeto survive waterchanges?

Couch

A quick question. I recently bought some chaeto. It is in my sump/refugium. The way I change my water is by siphoning most of the water out of the sump which now would leave my chaeto exposed to the air for about 10 minutes. Do you think it will be OK?

wonderloss

Chaeto should be fine out of water for a short period. I know someone here mentioned leaving their chaeto out of water before thinning it out to allow time for the critters to drop back into the water.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh it will be FINE! I've had Cheato shipped to me in a zip-lok back with just a mere WET paper towel in there with it. Last month I hand delivered some to a fellow reefer two states away simply in a Rubber Maid dish with a hint of tank water. It was that way for 24hrs with no ill effects.

You're all good there. When I turn off my power heads to feed the water from my fuge (it gravity feeds into the Display tank) drains out leaving the Cheato totally exposed for 15 minutes every other or third day.

Couch

Thanks, I just wanted to make sure that I did not have to find a new way to change the water.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Oh no.. you're good. Keep in mind that in our natural oceans all but the deepest of our sea corals and such are occasionally exposed to some amount of air during low tides and or storms.

kathywithbirds

I think it'll survive the next nuclear holocaust. Left a bit out accidentally once, overnight, on cement, threw it back in water (just to see) and now there's 5 times as much.

vdituri

Way to go Mrs. Science. lol

Nice to see someone pushing the envelope on Macro Algae.

Next week kids, we try MICROWAVING Chaeto! Tune and see the hilarity ensue.