Widespread Captive Clownfish Issue?

Ceejai777

Hi everyone, I stopped by a lfs today to pick up a cuc and inquired about clownfish. The owner told me he stopped selling clownfish 2 years ago due to some issue with the quality. He said in his 20 years in dealing with saltwater, he has never seen anything like it.
According to him, orders were DOA or would infect and kill the other fish in the tanks he put them in. He said to be careful when I do order and that the quality is so bad and widespread, buying from Petsmart would be about the same risk as ordering anywhere else as far as quality goes.
Have any of you heard or experienced anything like this?

DaveK

I'd generally agree with the owner. Note I'm talking about the general condition of clowns today, not some of the ones bread for color or pattern.

A lof ot clowns do come in with various diseases, clownfish disease, Brooklynella comes to mind. You sometimes also see fungus and other infections. A lot are also in poor condition, thin, not swimming around, not feeding well.

This doesn't mean you can't find good clowns today, but it does mean that you need to shop carefully, and it's best to quarantine them. Some would go as far to treat for Brooklynella right off.

Part of this problem is high demand. It seems everyone new to the hobby wants a "nemo". Lots of demand, and over production with out much regard to quality.

Pat24601

I'm sure @DaveK is right because he always is, but almost everyone on these forums starts off buying a clown pair. It's practically a law. I've never had any problems with mine and only rarely see others reporting problems with theirs, but it does happen.

So, if you want to get a clown pair. I wouldn't be afraid to do so personally, But, do take the advice seriously and look for problems if you can.

Last edited:

Iballhog

I wonder why the owner won't start a qt tank for incoming clowns. Medicate them and charge a little more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ceejai777

If it helps... here is where I would get them...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+27+755&pcatid=755

Ocellaris Clownfish, Captive-Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris )

Nemo was an Ocellaris :clownfish:

I generally add clowns as my first fish but typically buy from someone on Craigslist or a local forum member. This link definitely helps! We have a local reputable store that I plan to order from, most likely. Car issues, otherwise i'd go in-person. In response to the person wondering why he doesn't quarantine, that is a good question...the overall impression I got is that he was basically throwing his money away because the quality was so bad in the clowns he was receiving from suppliers. It sounds like he got frustrated and decided to not deal with them at all.