Why this tank

saintsreturn

So first off, wasn't sure where to post so I posted here....

OK the question/thought.
We bought a 30 gallon tank and pieced it together and have had a lot of fun so far. We have been debating getting out of the hobby as the tank just doesn't do what we want it to do as we want more to look at and fish that require larger homes. Now we decided to wait until we move in a couple of years and then go "big." I have been watching this forum and my local Craigslist to get ideas and information. My lfs sucks.... so besides that it has become more than clear that folks here love the RSM but it seems like it is possible to get a beautiful setup for less.

What made you go with the RSM or your tank that you have?

If you bought something else, did you get a kit or piece it together?

If we decided to piece it together, how do you know what you need versus what is just a gimmick?

Thank you all in advance for information and feedback

Sent from this thing in my hand

Iamonlyme

I love my piece together tank lol I have a 75 gallon with live rock and live sand I don't run sump or refugium I don't dose I do have a protein skimmer that runs for 12 hrs a day and circulation fans 24hrs my lights are led. I use Ro/di for top off and have done a water change once since I set it up. My tank has been up and running without problem but I will say what works for one does not always work for others. However I enjoy the build which is why I pieced mine.
e5ege4e5.jpg

And my husband just upgraded to a 40 tall to a build it his self and got rid of his bio cube
8ahybyzy.jpg

He also only runs a protein skimmer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oxylebius

I've had all kinds of tanks I pieced together and loved them. This time I wanted something sleek that would go w/the decor of the house so I went w/the RSM250. It is nice and compact, no cords hanging off of it, no light beaming from the top, no extra pieces sitting next to it, etc. It is compact for a mid-sized tank and does the job. I run a protein skimmer and a bag of carbon for filtration. ATO and chiller to keep the temp consistent and water level constant.

It all depends on what you want.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I went the half way mark, a semi all-in-one tank. Originally I was going to buy an RSM 130D as I love the way they look, work, feel and are easily upgradable to suit your needs as you mature as a reefer but they were out of stock here in Australia and have been for a while so in the end instead of waiting for one to come into stock and pay about $1k for one, I opted to get a different tank that was similar sized. I ended up buying a tank that was 100L (25G) larger (Also vastly more expensive $3k+ startup). It also had a sump and all of the plumbing included with it along with the stand and overflow box, hence the reason I call it an all-in-one of sorts. I just had to add equipment which gives you a whole other lot of choices if you don't go AIO. I'm enjoying having what I have (A 2ft cube) much more than what I would have had with a 130D. That being said I probably would have been equally happy with a 250.

It's all a personal choice of do you want the freedom and amount of choice you can have with a custom build or do you want the nice neat package with everything included but a sacrifice of choice/freedom that you get with an AIO. Both have their pro's and con's it's really a matter of how much change you think you'll be making or what you like :)

Oxylebius

Agree w/Wrangy. AIO may give you less options for upgrades than building it yourself.

But then you may not get the urge to go out and buy the next best thing on the market (b/c w/this hobby the is no end in sight on upgrades). I went through the wet/dry filter in the 90s, the canister after that, etc..... I finally decided that going minimal works for me. Too bad that was after spending $$$$$$ for a couple of decades.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good input ^

We see this question a lot & it's a good one.

IMO (in my opinion) there no "right answer"... there are many gorgeous reef tanks on the forum - both custom builds, aio tanks (all-in-one) & modified aio tanks.

Husbandry skills, research & dedication to maintenance, play the biggest part - again IMO

Here one example of a recent very nice custom build, there are several members that can guide you in a custom build.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...rfire-tanks-way-lots-possibilities-money.html

Selecting the components of a Custom build tank will give you the best in quality, if you have want to invest dollars in the best and if you "know what you are doing" selecting equipment that works well together & matches. With the $$$ and knowledge this will be "the best", but you can have a great aio reef tank too.

Cost if you figure out all the components of the large new RSM S series (110, 135 & 175 gallons) & custom builds are much closer than one would think, once you add every element up.

All of the Red Sea Max plug & play tanks just work ... and do look lovely in style too - imo, but husbandry skills play the biggest roll in the long run.

You can't go wrong with either imo, a custom build or a quality aio.

some of my thoughts... hope something helps !

when you say... you want more to look at and fish that require larger homes more fish - if you can define what fish (size) and how many (numbers) I think it will help everyone provide more input :)

saintsreturn

Thank you all. I will post up some more as the week progresses. I logged on just to see what happened while at work today :)

saintsreturn

And I know we want 2 or 3 tangs to include a sail fin. We tried two smaller ones and lost them both (two different attempts) :(

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Be prepared to go big then! 6ft+ as tangs need a LOT of space, especially when kept with other tangs!