Why the shrivel?

cjrudy

I have had zoas for almost a year that have done very well going from a few polyps to over 40 spread nicely over a rock. And now within two weeks it has gone from doing great to shriveling up. There has been literally no change to anything in my tank and all my other corals including sps, lps and other zoas are doing great with new growth.

Ugh !!

Before:
IMG_3121.jpg

After:
IMG_3405.jpg

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Cat is the zoa guru here however id check salinity. Mine get grumpy with lowered salinity. Id also check nitrates. However rule #1 apply here. Do a significant wc and add carbon. Keep us informed.

........what, me worry?

cjrudy

Did a 15 gallon water change on Saturday, salinity is 1.025, nitrates are 0ppm and I run carbon and gfo 24/7

Biggest thing is all my other corals are doing great.

dmatt88

Ur tank is young correct? Id do another wc. Something is awry in the water. U got new t5s right?

........what, me worry?

DaveK

I have had zoas for almost a year that have done very well going from a few polyps to over 40 spread nicely over a rock. And now within two weeks it has gone from doing great to shriveling up. There has been literally no change to anything in my tank and all my other corals including sps, lps and other zoas are doing great with new growth.

Ugh !!...

Obviously something did change. You just don't know what it is. Otherwise your zoas would be doing fine, just like before.

I agree with dmatt. Do a large, partial water change, and replace your carbon. Consider that you may have some form of outside contamination. The water change and carbon will help that also.

When you test your water it helps to post the exact results here. What may seem ok to you might indicate a problem to someone else.

It also wouldn't hurt to test Ca, Alk, and magnesium, although these are not typical the problem.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm with all of the above. I'd do a fairly large (yet safe) water change and replace the carbon. Get a full set of tests so we can see if something is out of whack. I think Dave said it perfect when he said "Obviously something did change."

Also they could be irritated from something else (snail, crab, nudibranch etc).

lbiminiblue

Ugh !!

Before:
IMG_3121.jpg

After:
IMG_3405.jpg
Same here! I think my zoa colony just up and died!

ramjet33

A long time ago when I was running two separate tanks, I ended up with some zoa eating nudibranchs that devored mine. Recently, I got an overzelous worm that was coming out at night and eating all my snails and frilly mushrooms. Left the other stuff alone. Did you add something recently? Or did a new tank mate get introduced. Just a thought.

dmatt88

Same here! I think my zoa colony just up and died!

Doesn't look dead to me just grumpy. Wc and add carbon. Carefully check ur salinity. Give us an update on the other aspects of ur water. What's temp too?

........what, me worry?

cjrudy

Doesn't look dead to me just grumpy. Wc and add carbon. Carefully check ur salinity. Give us an update on the other aspects of ur water. What's temp too?

........what, me worry?

Temp 79-80. Salinity 1.025, nitrates 0ppm, phosphates 0ppm, kh 143.2ppm

cjrudy

Salinity has been 1.025 for over a year, definitely not the reason my zoas are shriveling, although I have considered bumping it to 1.026. But I have resisted any change because all my corals are doing very well, except this one.