Why purchase a RSM

KStatefan

I have been researching a new tank. I thought the RSM130D looked like a good way to start. After reading a number of threads it seem like most of the stuff that comes with the RSM needs to be replaced. Why would you not just buy a tank?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

I bought my 1st AIO (all-in-one) swt, a RSM 130D about 18 months ago - I run my 130D stock and have had nothing but success.

IMG_1234tanknew0710.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
34 gal Red Sea Max 130D, with 2 1/2" deep sand bed of 0.1-0.2 Fine/Medium sand CaribSea Aragonite Seaflor Special Grade reef Sand and 35 # Live Rock Tonga Branch *** CUC (snails, Ceriths, Nassarius, Margarita Turbos, Astrea & Banded Trochus, Mexican Turbos - one Emerald crab - one Skunk Cleaner) *** Coral - Two Color Aacanthastrea, Red Chalice Coral, Closed Brain Coral, Turbinaria Scroll Ridge Coral, Blue Tip Branching Acropora, Birdsnest Pink Coral, Cup Coral, Torch Coral , Hammerhead Coral, Open Brain Coral Orange, Keyna Tree Coral, Green Star Polyp, Frogspawn, Pom Pom Xenia, Green Eyed Zoanthids, Candy Cane Coral, Ricordea Floridian, Duncan Coral, Staghorn Acropora, Blue Chalice Coral, Flowerpot Goniopora & Bluestriped Mushroom *** Fish - (1) Scooter Blenny (2) Ocellaris Clownfish (1) Yellow Clown Goby

Monkeyboy

Nice tank glenn, just shows that stock can work.

I changed pretty much all of mine plainly because of the noise and ease of getting to the media (I didn't like going in the COD) but all in all i do love my RSM 130.

I think its pretty much personal preference as to how you run it.

KStatefan

What is that right above the clown fish? It makes me feel lots better about making a purchase knowing that stock will work.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
It is a Turbinaria Scroll Ridge Coral

many members run stock or near stock... part of the fun of the hobby for many is changing out skimmers & pumps, some go as far as changing out lights... after you have had your tank for awhile, you may want to spend a few dollars on improvements, part of the fun - but you can have success stock

Many of these are stock... or very near...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/37227-full-tank-rsm-photos.html

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Aaron !

Kind of like a motorcycle... I have a stock Honda 1800 cc VTX
moped_mazeguy.gif

many of my friends have motorcycles & add mods all the time - because they enjoy it & improves thier bikes... same for swt's ...
1183.gif
part of the hobby, part of the fun !

clka

Hi and welcome!

We are upgrading from a BioCube 8 and bought our 130D (sight unseen actually) a few weeks ago after a lot of research and looking at what was available online and in local stores in that approximate size. We were wowed when we unpacked it, it is a gorgeous tank/stand combo that looks great in our living room. Nothing else in that size range compared favorably in appearance.

As Glenn illustrated above, you can run it stock or modify pretty easily as your motivation/budget allows.

RSM customer service is awesome. We had a bad light socket, called the rep in Texas, and had a new hood on our doorstep within a week. You can also get a lot of info off the "official" RSM site:

Red Sea MAX130D | New from Red Sea

As an added bonus, there are many experienced reefkeepers/RSM owners on this forum who provide encouragement, support, and answers to almost any question you can throw at them :eek:lsmile:

Good luck with your decision,
Cheryl

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
We were wowed when we unpacked it, it is a gorgeous tank/stand combo that looks great in our living room. Nothing else in that size range compared favorably in appearance.

+1 ^ and the stand of the highest quality too !

imaccat

Hi & welcome,

I think it is all down to personal preference as to what changes you make, although some will argue that you must change out the heater, but I still run the stock one (hopefully I wont live to regret it). I have added stuff (chiller, vortech & ato), but thats because I wanted to, I didn't have to.

I think they are a great tank, looks, functionality and RS do have great customer service if things go wrong. RS changed out the skimmer pump for me, no arguments and got it within a few days.

Good luck with making your decision.

Hi & Welcome, If it wasn't for the RSM I properly would still have tropical fish.

I love my aquarium. Marine is so much better than fresh, the coral brings the aquarium alive and it looks great. Its a great design and very easy to setup and maintain and it looks pretty cool to.

If your new to marine or you want to keep a pretty much stock aquarium that looks good and works then I've not seen anything better than the RSM.

If your looking for an advanced Marine setup with lots of hard to keep corals it possibly isen’t the best option.

I agree with everything said. +2 on the quality of the stand...it is a nice combo that looks beautiful in any room. I looked at the stands that come w/the BC IMO it is a piece of crap that I would not put my drink on let alone 400 lbs of Reef. The only problem for me is that my Wife loves the look of this so much that I have to buy a 250 or 500 when we upgrade...non negoitable.
Good luck with your decision.

KStatefan

Thanks for all of the responses. My wife would kill me if I bought this and then had to do $500 of upgrades before being able to put fish in.

Dweezil

IMO you might want to sit down and seriously talk to her. This is a very expensive hobby and there will be allot of costs associated with it whether you do upgrades or not. You should go into this both understanding that Salt, food, livestock, hydrometers, RO/DI units are all not cheap. Things go wrong also and maybe you'll have to deal with that at some point. Not trying to scare you away, just make sure you go in with eyes wide open. :)

Monkeyboy

My eyes got opened rather quickly lol. On a serious note it isn't a cheap hobby and I have found that out the hard way! At the moment whenever I go to the LFS for pre mixed salt water I seem to either come out with a coral aswell or at least get them to reserve it till the next payday.

KStatefan

After one year of looking I have decided to purchase a RSM130D. I plan on adding the following items.

Reefcleaners rock
InTank media basket and skimmer cup
Tunze 9002 skimmer

Still do not know about
Chiller
ATO