WHy does my Tunze skimmer stop skimming after a water change?

screemer

Its been skimming fine for awhole but noticed that after each water change it takes a few days to start skimming again. The water level in the rear is on optimum, and the water level is near enough on the line on the tunze. Any ideas?

David Shaw

If you take to collection cup off is it fizzing inside or just dead?

sounds a bit strange as mine just starts back up again.

David Shaw

Strange, perhaps there is nothing for it to skim after your water change, or perhaps it's almost breaking in again. Never happened to me though so perhaps others can chime in.

catran

Sounds like it's adjusted to a lower water volume and doesn't operate until some water evaporates. I have to adjust mine every time I do a w/c. I put the height at the line and adjust the air. As the water evaporates, I adjust the air again.

Mischko

If you just put your finger in a tank, it can happen the skimmer will stop skimming at once! A skimmer works based on electrostatics. Each time you work in your tank, depending what food you feed, what water you add, you are disturbing the electrostatic/water tension of your water and depending on how much, the longer the skimmer will take to skim again. Thouhg I think several days is abit too long. When I clean my skimmer cup it will take about an hour to start skimming again, that is due to cleaning it with tap water and changing the electrostastic of the plastic then. As a suggestion as I don't know what water you use for a change, if you can, try and get water for a water change from your LFS and see how long it takes then for the skimmer to work again.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I've heard that some salts may have something in them that can slow skimming down. If it picks up after a day or two I don't think I'd worry about it.

Every time I do a water change or just put my hand in the tank water the skimmer does the same, it is not a fault or problem. It is just a reaction to the change and nothing to worry about at all.