Why do I keep failing with my RSM250

Danreef

The plan is to see if I can salvage my live rock. If yes I am found to fill up the tank with new salt water and just live rock no sand bed. As far as future live stock. I really just want a pair of clowns. Another kole eye tang. Six line wrasse. Acans, torches, bubble, Zoas and some frog spawn coral. Not all at once of course. That is the plan for now.

Great.... yes you can use your rock unless it has known pest on it (like too many palies, etc.)

I will discourage the use if the old sand. The rocks will seed the system.

If you are not planing a full SPS tank, you do not need to go bare bottom. But it is up to you.

So...New sand (or no sand) plus your rocks and it will cycle fast. Then start to populate it slowly.

Reef Crystal is a nice salt to do water. You have your RODI. Basically you have it all.

Adrienne

I had to google Kole eye Tang to see what it was. Its a really nice looking fish - I don't think we ever get those here. Good luck with the restart.

Desmond

I would start slowly and try not to chase the numbers so much. It is much better to have stable parameters other than messing around and them going up and down. Also add things slowly and let the system mature with time. I have learned allot this time around that going slowly pays off and rushing ends in disaster.

thedru13

Appreciate all the support and advice. I swear I want to tattoo myself with "nothing good happens fast in saltwater" Just need to use what i have and not try and make to many changes. Been thinking of changing my Lighting and swapping over to an open set up. IDK gotta stop reading...

thedru13

Do have a question. I started to take things apart tonight and currently soaking all my pumps and things in a vinegar bath. Worried about all this live rock in the tank. It's pretty slimy and cruddy. Should I do something with it other than hand clean it? If I am draining the tank, removing the sand . Scrubbing everything and starting fresh should I dip the rock in muriatic acid? Hate to kill off 60 plus pounds of live rock but also don't want to introduce any new issues with the old rock. Let me know what you guys/gals think

Danreef

Have you actually seen something in the rocks that bothers you ?

Like Aptaisia, unwanted palies, lot of Hair Algae, etc..... If your rocks looks like live rocks from the Fish Store when you buy it, so then why kill them ?

Let see what others think. But I will reuse them "alive" if there is no pest on them.

Daniel

thedru13

Have you actually seen something in the rocks that bothers you ?

Like Aptaisia, unwanted palies, lot of Hair Algae, etc..... If your rocks looks like live rocks from the Fish Store when you buy it, so then why kill them ?

Let see what others think. But I will reuse them "alive" if there is no pest on them.

Daniel

I had a few Aptaisia heads. Was trying to zap with lemon juice no clue if it ever worked or they just moved to a different spot. Was only on one of the rocks. I started to get some of that bubble algae that looked like the glassy bubbles on the rock. I have yet to pull the rocks out of the there.

Been running all my pumps in the vinegar water solution to get them all clean, started making fresh salt water and got all cleaning supplies ready to start the scrub down. Also stocked up on booze.. LOL

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If it has aptaisia... I think I would start with all new dry rock - $109 - Free Shipping

and a lot less headaches

http://www.marcorocks.com/dry-rock/marcorocks-key-largo-dry-rock-50lb-box/

50Lbc2000x__45486__44441.1313495163.400.400.jpg

thedru13

Hmmmm. So don't even bother trying to salvage my rock at all? Had some new rock work. Man I am being difficult. Lol

thedru13

Maybe I will just bite the bullet and buy 50lbs and call it a day. So stupid question. Do I just fill the tank up and let it soak or do i need to add anything to start to cure the rock?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
No stupid questions... you don't have to cure the dry rock it's "Key Largo rock 100% free of organics or "pre cured" but read up here in Marco's Q & A
http://www.marcorocks.com/faq/

I start my 66 gallon RSM 250 up... adding ro/di water, added salt, let it run with pumps on for a few hours, adjusted to 1.026, rinsed dry sand (CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand ) in ro/di & Marco rocks, added sand, added rocks about 40 lbs. Then added about 5-10 pounds of LR from lsf, a deli shrimp & cycled when I started up, worked great for me, if this helps. No bad hh for the first 2 years, then bought 10 sps frags from a rs member for $150, thought it was a real deal, until I found out I also imported a tiny aptaisia I missed on one of the frags, been fighting aptaisia since - lesson learned.

Hope this helps...

IMG_1358zz.jpg

Last edited:

Danreef

Maybe I will just bite the bullet and buy 50lbs and call it a day. So stupid question. Do I just fill the tank up and let it soak or do i need to add anything to start to cure the rock?
Look around.... some do an acid bath to dry new rock to avoid having the rock leaching phosphates after some months in your tank. I used it directly and after 6 months I started with a big phosp issue. Of course I can't blame 100 % my rocks but reading about it I found a lot of thread where reefers refer to this Acid Bath. I do not remember the details.

thedru13

No stupid questions... you don't have to cure the dry rock it's "Key Largo rock 100% free of organics or "pre cured" but read up here in Marco's Q & A
http://www.marcorocks.com/faq/

I start my 66 gallon RSM 250 up... adding ro/di water, added salt, let it run with pumps on for a few hours, adjusted to 1.026, rinsed dry sand (CaribSea Dry Aragonite Special Grade Reef Sand ) in ro/di & Marco rocks, added sand, added rocks about 40 lbs. Then added about 5-10 pounds of LR from lsf, a deli shrimp & cycled when I started up, worked great for me, if this helps. No bad hh for the first 2 years, then bought 10 sps frags from a rs member for $150, thought it was a real deal, until I found out I also imported a tiny aptaisia I missed on one of the frags, been fighting aptaisia since - lesson learned.

Hope this helps...

IMG_1358zz.jpg

Ok that does help... I could probably add a small chunk of my old LR and toss it in the tank to help cycle the new stuff. I did just order some dry rock from marcorocks so thanks for the link. I am not planning on adding any sand so might take longer to cycle but willing to spend the extra time. Maybe if I add some food like I have a fish in the tank to help spike things might add some more bacteria.

Look around.... some do an acid bath to dry new rock to avoid having the rock leaching phosphates after some months in your tank. I used it directly and after 6 months I started with a big phosp issue. Of course I can't blame 100 % my rocks but reading about it I found a lot of thread where reefers refer to this Acid Bath. I do not remember the details.

Thanks .... will keep reading. Trying to avoid the Acid route all together LOL

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lots & lots of RS members have started their tanks up with Marcos Rock and have beautiful problem free tanks - just be careful to not add any LR with problems... or it kind of defeats not just using all LR & dealing with the bad HH for all the good life. No one best way... both work...

thedru13

Lots & lots of RS members have started their tanks up with Marcos Rock and have beautiful problem free tanks - just be careful to not add any LR with problems... or it kind of defeats not just using all LR & dealing with the bad HH for all the good life. No one best way... both work...

Everyone has really been so helpful so thanks for the support. Giving me the confidence and energy to really want to start this again. Ok. The plan is this. Going with 70lbs of Marcos rock. Not going to use any of my old rock at all. Going to start all new. Will start a build thread once I have everything.

Danreef

If you want
Everyone has really been so helpful so thanks for the support. Giving me the confidence and energy to really want to start this again. Ok. The plan is this. Going with 70lbs of Marcos rock. Not going to use any of my old rock at all. Going to start all new. Will start a build thread once I have everything.
to feed live bacteria I will post the product name later when at home. I used it and I belive worked. In that way you can avoid any live rock..... if you want