why are my zoo's so small

lilj104

I have a 12g nanocube. I have a few zoos who when i first had them in the tank they were bigger, now they are open but shrunken and not to maximum size. Why do some of my zoo stay open to maximum size and other shrunken in and small

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Well first ya gotta check lighting. Many zoas don't like too much light. Then look at salinity n water quality. There's the two magic ingredients.

........Myreeftoyours is calling me. again.

catran

Well first ya gotta check lighting. Many zoas don't like too much light. Then look at salinity n water quality. There's the two magic ingredients.

........Myreeftoyours is calling me. again.

Agreed. Mine shrink with high salinity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

lilj104

then it might be the salinity, it is in the 1.027 area. I swear i dilute it and then it slowly rises up again

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Siphon out some water and replace it with RO/DI water. When you get it to 1.023 setup an ATO (auto top off), that will keep it right where you need it.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you're not topping off regularly with Fresh Water (preferably RO/DI) or you're topping off with Salt Water there is your problem.

While 1.027 isn't "emergency" it's a tad high for some of our live stock. One thing is to not do ANYTHING quickly. I suggest any changes you make (especially to salinity) be done over the course of a day or more depending on the amount of change needed. Osmotic shock will kill fish, coral, inverts.... just about anything in your tank if it's bad enough. Go slow and know WHY you're doing it.

catran

If you're not topping off regularly with Fresh Water (preferably RO/DI) or you're topping off with Salt Water there is your problem.

While 1.027 isn't "emergency" it's a tad high for some of our live stock. One thing is to not do ANYTHING quickly. I suggest any changes you make (especially to salinity) be done over the course of a day or more depending on the amount of change needed. Osmotic shock will kill fish, coral, inverts.... just about anything in your tank if it's bad enough. Go slow and know WHY you're doing it.

+1^. Bring it down slowly. I would think 1.024 wold be better too.

lilj104

Salinity keeps going up? You're topping off with fresh water, right?

yea i'm topping off every other day. But when i checked my salinity this morning it was actually 1.024. So i just took a couple cups out of the tank and replaced it with R/O water.

catran

Be careful. Frogspawn and Hammers hate low salinity. Not sure what you have in your tank, but I wouldn't go below 1.024. I keep mine with hundreds of zoas at 1.025.