Why a QT is your best bet, but not a sure bet.....

These are 2 different dwarf fuzzies. Placed in a 100g tank on 2/24. They've been in QT since 5/18/2011. Both showing Ich as of 3/10, as you can see in the pics below.

red900.jpg

brown900.jpg

The tanksmates already in the tank:
Sphex - QT'd since 11/??/2011
Radiata - 5/11/2011

The was sphex first in, then radiata, then both fuzzies over a course of time. Poor fuzzies must have been super stressed.... awwwwwwwww.

One study I found interesting, was where samples of fish were taken from 3 different areas. In one area, 77.6% of the fish had at least one crypto on them. That's a lot!

This is not an argument against QT, BTW. Just in case it sounds that way....

None. But that's my point.....

You'll see a lot of threads about Ich that say "Darn, I should have QT'd", like then they would not be dealing with Ich. But a QT won't save ya, only prophylactic treatment will. These guys did not show any signs of Ich in QT. I think you will agree 9 months was an adequate amount of time.

jpsika08

I think I take your point, and correct me if you're wrong.

You Qt'ed your fish and during these months they didn't show any signs of crypto, though after transferring them into the DT and got stressed out they began showing the parasite?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Maybe Im under the wrong impression about QT...I thought that's where you treat all new fish for parasites. I know I do...

Agreed, maybe we both are doing it wrong?
No fish goes into my DT until after a complete copper and PraziPro treatment in the QT. And I know the arguments of copper and why treat unless necessary bla bla bla however, no better argument IMO then the cost of lost others within the tank for not treating the noobs.

I'm not sure why you would even bother... just to observe?

jpsika08

Yes, after both fish stressed out the crypto attacked.
Or even QT water had Crypto and the fish were only hosting the cyst, once they got stressed the parasite reacted and contaminated the tank.

And possible the crypto from one fish attacked the other as the host was already immune.

Too many possibilities at the end I'm really sorry both got infected.

I think I take your point, and correct me if you're wrong.

You Qt'ed your fish and during these months they didn't show any signs of crypto, though after transferring them into the DT and got stressed out they began showing the parasite?

Correct.

Can I multi quote here?.... forgive me if I create a mess while I try.

jpsika08

Yes, there is a small quote icon under each post left side (Over the gray bar), you just press the posts you want to quote, once you have done this just press, reply with Quote and all the messages will appear on the quick reply text box. :)

LOL! Then I totally failed because I thought there wasn't after I tried. *blush*.

A QT doesn't mean treatment. It's a time of acclimation and conditioning and observation. It is not common practice to treat prophylactically.

Some think if they QT (without any sort of treatment) they have safeguarded themselves against Ich.

I'm not worried about my current situation. They just had a big move and the male tolerated it very poorly the first 24 hours. I knew this was coming a couple of days before those spots came on. I have no doubt this will not lead to any sort of issue.

Now, if the stressor was still there, we'd could be looking at a problem. But he's lovin' life and they will be just fine after a couple of little interventions.

Side note: wasn't in the DT as it was fallow for 6 months.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I could be wrong which is usually the case... lol

But, it has been my understanding that crypto needs to be present in one form or another in order for it to be contracted. I was never under the impression that it could just "morph" at will just because of a stressed fish. Again I'm no expert but that is what I thought. I'm sure Lee could cut straight through this and clarify.

No, it can't morph.

Think of it like a coldsore (this is just for general loose comparison...no one call me out for bending facts to try and illustrate a point). Oh I know you are lurking out there with the grammar/spelling crew LOL :) You have the virus living within. Your body deals with it on a day to day basis. Then it's the week before your wedding and all hell is breaking loose. You're not sleeping right, not eating right.... your stressed. BAM! On comes the coldsore.

Stress in general causes a drop in immunity as well as a bunch of other physiological effects. Fish enters new tank, afraid of the new guys, afraid of the large tank, not eating right, not sleeping right :)...... their stressed. Then the Ich, that was present but controlled, can't be fought off. BAM... Ichy fish.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I understand your analogy completely but again, I was never under the impression that it was an auto immune issue that can sprout out from within the fish. It's been my understanding that if it's not present you can't catch it. Otherwise what is the sense in allowing the tank to go fallow?

I guess I'm not sure what you are saying.

I'll try to say it a different way. One of them could..... and has, been carrying Ich on them that I could not see. One of them had it in their gills or somewhere..... may have been the fuzzies.... may not have been. The ones affected don't have to be the ones who carried it in.

Are you saying you don't agree with the immunity factor or ?

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Gotcha. Well in any event I'm sorry they got sick. It's obvious they are in good hands so no worries. Keep us posted.

jpsika08

Agree, a QT tank is more for observation, if the animals don't present any sign of disease, there is no reason to medicate.

You don't get a flu shot if you're feeling and looking ok.

Though, it's recommendable to apply some preventives as methylene blue or freshwater dip, this helps fish get rid of any unwanted crit on them (Not crypto as this is on the inner skin), then comes the eight week observation period, if the fish present any sign of illness, then you proceed to medicate.

Medicine shortens a fish's life in my humble opinion.