Who uses T5 lights?

HAP

This picture is the lamp out of the box. Note the size of the tube. The battery is a "AA" for comparison. The lamp comes with a power cord and two retaining clips. The ballast is internal to the strip.

Attachments

• 344100_1033.jpg
    344100_1033.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 35

HAP

This picture is of the Power Compact 55 watt lamp I am going to replace.

Attachments

• 100_1042.jpg
    100_1042.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 38

HAP

Here I have temporarily hung the new T5 to compare to the PC.

Attachments

• skimmer.jpg
    skimmer.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 36

HAP

This shot shows both the T5 and the PC on. The PC is a Hamilton brand Actinic and puts out more white light than the Coralife Actinics in the back.

Attachments

• redeye1.jpg
    redeye1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 41

HAP

Here it is with the two new T5's installed. Look how much more blue I have than with the PC!

Attachments

• whole tank update 12-01-04.jpg
    whole tank update 12-01-04.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 29

HAP

Hi, Curt:

Well, I don't have equipment to actually measure light output but, I would have to say that the T5's have diminished in quality faster than the PC's I installed at the same time.

So, to answer your question, no, I would (and plan to again) install PC's in place of the T5's.

hap

dwall174

Just taging along

I'm also curious about these new type of T-5 (Helios Brand) set-ups! From what I have read & like the quote from the manufacture
All are internal ballast except the HO 59" 80 watts and the 71" 105 watts are external ballast. All of these lamps are disposable when exhausted.
once the lamp goes out! you toss out the lamp & ballast? Hence the term "Disposable" I could be wrong! However I don't think they make replacement lamps for the Helios Brand of ballast/lamps?

tommyp

I would stay away from the Helios style T5's. A real T5 setup with the correct triad ballast and reflectors will be much better. I wouldn't toss the T5s I would toss the helios.

Also running T5's without a good reflector is kinda pointless too because the reflectors are what puts all their brightness into the tank.

My speculation is that the T5's were being run by a ballast that was an instant start and burned out the bulbs prematurely. I am also running my T5's off of a wrong ballast (workhorse) and will probably swap it out for the right one soon. I haven't noticed any great degradation of output from mine past the initial burning in but I haven't been paying much attention ether.

T

dwall174

Originally posted by tommyp
My speculation is that the T5's were being run by a ballast that was an instant start and burned out the bulbs prematurely.
I’m still a little unclear on the ballast type also! From what I have read the Programmed start ballasts will help the lamps last the longest if the lamps are switched on & off multiple times a day. However being that the lights on our tanks are usually only switched on & off once a day the instant start ballasts will work fine & not decrease the lamp life much if any? The way I understand it is the problem with the instant start ballasts & lamp life is when the lamps are switched on & off multiple times a day!

tommyp

The programmed start fires the bulbs up slowly. My buddy has the triad ballast. My personal conjecture is that even once a day is a pretty hard start on the bulbs. It is all BS talking on my part but for the little extra the programmed start isn't hurting the t5's

T