Who uses T5 lights?

HAP

T5 lights - Discussed

This thread started with a question I had regarding these lights after my LFS guy told me they were changing out all of their VHO with them. He was really excited about the cost, the life expectancy, the lower cost to operate and the lower heat output.

I started to do some research after asking my original question that is quoted below.

The findings of my research are included here. I encourage you to add to this as these lights appear to have many benfits and few downsides.

Regards,
hap

Just curious about these lights. Can anyone comment on Pro's and Con's? How about retro kits? These look to be a good option to PC for FOWLR or Refugium use.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Scooterman

I've heard some good about them, I guess in Europe they are used more so than here. Smaller bulbs is a plus but so are PC! T5 has been around for years, just not in aquariums around here so much!

Cougra

As far as I know there aren't as many different temperature options available for the T-5 bulbs. They have a good reputation in Europe and I would like to be able to try them out, but haven't found anywhere that I can order them from yet.

jks1

can get them from island aquatics, i am getting 2 55W actinics for my up and coming 75

HAP

I found retro kits, full fixtures and bulbs at:

Inovative Lighting Solutions

My favorite lighting store...super customer service!

The following specs were listed there as well:

Attachments

• redeye1.jpg
    redeye1.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

BrandonK

I'm using a set of t-5's as supplemental lighting on my 50 gallon tank -- along with a pair of 175 watt AB's. Another good friend has only, 6 t-5 bulbs over his 72 bow and they are doing a fine job! (He's limited on his collection of sps's so far, but is keeping the few he has quite healthy...)

I'm very happy overall with the performance and would recommend them highly to everyone! (for fluorescent lighting)

willieboy240

i have a custom 180 that i'm running 6 retro t-5's on. my tank is 47" long so it fits perfect. they are really bright for florecents. they are just small florecents tubes. i also run one 400w MH in the center of the tank for sps. they give off almost no heat at all. lighting wattage is 54 and 80's. they are way better than pc's. IMO. but then i really dont care for pc's.

oh the best price that i've seen them from is reefgeek.com
there customer service is excellent too.

willie

HAP

I just got off the phone with the owner of Innovative Ligting Solutions. He told me that the VHO market is drying up. Orders for T5 lights have skyrocketed. He told me that the lights last longer than VHO, take up less space and use less power for the same output. Plus, they are cheaper to purchase. It sure seems there is something to these lights.

Like many reef advancements, it seems from what I've read today that the use of these lights is migrating from Germany where they have been used for years.

I very well might consider replacing my actinic PC's when they wear out with T5's to supplement my 10K MH lamps. Until then, I am going to watch this topic and would appreciate input from those of you who have them.

HAP

Sounds about right. The guy I spoke to said nominal life expectancy can be 18 months. Sure would be nice to have something last more than a year with all the things that need constant replacement...

pista01

Can you keep clams and LPS corals with T5s? I'm concerned with the heat from MH, as I don't want to run a chiller.

I'm thinking I will need MH for clams.

willieboy240

i really dont think you need MH for clams. i know the maxima needs more light so you may have to put that one up higher. i also think lps are ok too. just dont keep anything that needs alot of light to low. all in all i dont think you will be sorry that you go them. and if its not enough light you can always buy 1 MH.

Michael_Lambert

Thats what im doing on my 100g, 5 foot tank,

Im running 4 4foot vhos and a single 175 watt halide in the center!.

And i keep sps and clams fine.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
HAP, just for clarification....so what my understanding is - instead of VHO actinics to supplement my MH, I can use these T5's, they will last longer, don't use up as much electricity, and are cheaper and smaller? Would I need more of them than the VHO actinics?

Nautilus

VHO dry up.... don't think so.
He may just be pulling your leg to get you to buy the darn T5.

Personally I like the heat VHO puts out. If one of my heaters decides to stop working I have the VHO leanding a hand till I can get a new heater.
My tanks stays at 78 to 80 with the VHO on and heaters (one in sump and one in tank) set at 78 I have had no issues but there is that one day when you are not looking.:smirk:

Last edited:

HAP

I doubt the market for VHO will go away completely. Too many people have an investment in ballasts, fixtures and lamps to see the use of VHO go away overnight.

I was at my LFS yesterday and looked at the T5's they are installing to replace the VHO's. They are very bright for the wattage. The tanks using the new T5's looked much brighter than the tanks still using the VHO's with half the wattage.

The lights they sell are the Helios brand by Commodity Axis. I wrote CA last night asking for specs. The following is what they sent back:

We have high performance and HO two type of T-5
The color temperatures are:

Pink for plant growth
10,000k white day light
O3 Blue actinic
Blue color 12,000k
6700k UVB reptile
11,000k UVB for marine coral

The bulbs sizes are: 11", 12", 13", 19", 23", 29", 35", 47", 59", 71".

All are internal ballast except the HO 59" 80 watts and the 71" 105 watts are external ballast. All of these lamps are disposable when exhausted.

Thank you.

I picked up two 23" - 24 watt HO O3 Actinics to replace and supplement a single 55 watt pc I am using on the forward side of the canopy on my display tank. I will post pictures on this thread when I begin to make the switch so you can see how it looks. The cost for the 23" was $29.99 each. The 47" were $39.99 each. You do the math on that for your own setup.

I am interested in this since these lamps are said to run cooler, last 50-100% longer, are brighter and are cheaper than PC or VHO.

It would be debatable whether or not these lamps could sustain clams or other light loving corals as well as MH but, with enough installed they may. Time will tell. My LFS had a canopy they were putting together that had 12 47" T5's. That's 648 watts on a 75-gallon tank or 8.64 watts per gallon. The canopy wasn't finished. They hadn't installed the Actinics yet. They had room for 8-10 Actinics. These lights are so thin you can fit 20 or so in a space 2 feet across.

Anywho, I'll play around with this, like I said, and will report back my results for us all to learn from.

Gotta run. I've got a Cub Scout trip. Hope to get to this tomorrow...

Regards,
hap

HAP

Okay....I got started on this today.

The first picture here is the box the 23" T5 came in:

Attachments

• red vina.jpg
    red vina.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 114