Who has a frag tank and why?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I'm going to have a 20 gallon frag tank when I put the 55 up. Right now, putting up a small frag tray in a 20 gal dt takes up too much space...and I always need space.

Ahh that's how it begins... first a frag "rack" and next thing you know Jed's a millionare.. oh wrong tag line... next thing you know you're shopping for a Frag Tank :)

slakker

Those are great tanks... I wish I have room for a frag tank, but for now, I frag in my main display tank for anything that gets too big of breaks off accidentally. I get $ from the LFS when I bring them in, so it help with buying new stuff.

I also like the idea of giving it to the friends then in case my mother colony dies, I can always get some back.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
....I get $ from the LFS when I bring them in, so it help with buying new stuff.

I also like the idea of giving it to the friends then in case my mother colony dies, I can always get some back.

Both are GREAT reasons for Fraggin! It's a Win-Win situation. :)

aquaman3680

Yeah sure, I changed around the racks some. I will take some more pictures of it tomorrow. These frag tanks are tied in with the main system which is about 500 gallons. I believe that the only way to have a frag tank that grows like the main display is to have a common sump and essentially the same lighting system.

So Ill get some pics up of it tomorrow!

Matt

aquaman3680

Here are those pictures! Sorry they are so late I have been very busy!

DSC_2258_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2259_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2261_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2262_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2263_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2264_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2265_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2266_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2267_edited-1.jpg

DSC_2268_edited-1.jpg

I will be gone until Sunday so if you have any questions I will answer them then!

Enjoy

Matt

BaxReefs

I agree that those reefers who can, have an obligation to frag, propogate, and trade, sell, give away, whatever, as much coral as you can. As long as you are able to propogate healthy specimens, and without spreading reef vermin, spread the frag wealth and keep the hobby out of the ocean to the GREATEST extent possible.

I have been using just a small rack in my fuge, but I am getting more and more cramped for space.
120Feb2008frags.jpg

I recently had to expand the rack to hold these two clams that were getting nipped (until I can catch the nipper) ... but this expanded rack is already full.
120June2008clams2nite.jpg

So I am moving this 90 g (bottom of the pile) in to a space on the wall behind my fish room for a dedicated frag tank FIANLLY!

April07pileostuff.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I agree that those reefers who can, have an obligation to frag, propogate, and trade, sell, give away, whatever, as much coral as you can. As long as you are able to propogate healthy specimens, and without spreading reef vermin, spread the frag wealth and keep the hobby out of the ocean to the GREATEST extent possible.

Well said :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks :) I LOVE fraggin!! When we build a house I'm gonna have a MASSIVE frag station with multiple tanks (shallow mostly) and work stations for safe fragging.

reefmasta

no pictures yet but soon. i got a 90 gal long and actual frag tank (8' long 12" high 12" wide) starting ricorida,hairy frillys, regular slick shrooms, star polyps, xeinia and more to come. why i do this is for an actual hobby/living and to help the reefs out and i also manage a marine only wholesale/retail store and we only will buy propagated coral and all our fish is net caught ci-nide free.
if interested in near wholesale prices visit Life Oceanic Retail Store Homepage but i love everyone elses setups i gotta get pictures in here you guys would love what i got goin on. haha =)

Tru2nr

i have shelves in my new 75g stand so im gonna shoot to have a tiny frag tank down there that i can just nip a polyp off of something and let it grow and not worry about it