White unidentified object in water column

Kongor

Hey guys

This has me stumped, no idea what this stuff is. I do not have a photo but I am charging the camera now to take some pics but figured I'd ask beforehand...

I got this white crap in my water column that is paper white and looks like twine like fabric?

At first I thought it was mysis shrimp left overs, but after closing inspection its not, plus the fish don't touch it.

Second I thought it was my red gorgonian's polys but it looks healthy and they open every day. They are also too fine and small to be the cuplrit.

I then turned off my return pump in my basement to make sure in case of a power outage I have enough room in the sump for the water and the return chamber FILLLLEEEED up with this stuff.

I look the pump apart and theres nothing there...Am i going crazy? Is it possible algae is growing in my PVC, then dying due to no light, then being pumped into my DT?

This started to happen 2-3 weeks ago after I added sump (which was 2-3 months ago, tank is a year this month on the 20th).

I am running GFO and carbon in a reactor along with dosing red sea nopox.

Parameters are as follows:

temp 77.5
ph 8.24 day time, 8.11 night time
ammonia 0
nirite 0
nirate 0
phosphate 0
alk 9-10
calicum 450
mag 1350-1400

I know the nirate and phosphate must be skewed due to algae using it up...but everything is spot on. All my corals are open even the SPS... fish are eating and nice and active/good feeding response.

Kongor

I know its not coral "slime" and it doesn't look like the v. snail, here is a photo of what I was able to grab out of my sump and stuck in a pump.

It is always white in my display tank I am assuming its now a brownish color due to going through fuge (mud) but I dunno I can be wrong, but this is definitely it.

Also this is not left over food, or at-least I don't think it is since my fish, CUC or nothing touches it, and my fish go absolutely crazy for food.

Can it be bacteria?

Thanks for the help!

Steve L

Did you have a xenia die or something? Perhaps a piece of one broke off and got chewed up by a power head. It looks like some kind of soft coral.

Kongor

no xenia and i do have a toadstool and gorg but I know what that looks like

I couple people mentioned it might be bacteria growing in my sump/PVC pipes that eventually gets pushed out by the flow.