white spots on live rock

joeanddee

live rock is starting to get white spots been in my 75 gal. for about 5 weeks. all water tests are right on the only thing that has changed is the addition of a urchin. the white seems to be everywhere he goes almost like its leaving a trail. sorry cant figger out how to post pics turned cam setting down still says to large.

rufus2008

Urchins eat coraline algae. That is why it disappears where ever it goes. I'm lucky, mine only seems to have eaten off the rocks on the back.

reefer gladness

You'll need to make a few more posts before you can post pics, I think the number is around 5 now. Urchins are great members of the clean-up crew, they eat several types of algae and will remove it right down to the base rock which may appear white. It's a good thing.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Mine eats coralline but by no means eradicates it. I wish it would eat more. I notice the white streaks/patches where it grazes, as well. I wouldn't worry.

joeanddee

thanks for the input talked to the girl i bought the live rock from and she said same thing. took the urchin back to the LFS with a new tank i would guess i need all the good alge i can get.. thanks for the help joe