Whip's "new to me" RSM 130

Oxylebius

A combo of frozen rotifers, Kent Marine PhytoPlex Phytoplankton, and Two Little Fishies marine snow brought my Turbinaria coral back. Defrosted the cube of frozen rotifers in a few mls each of the phytoplex and marine snow. Used a long pipette to squirt the coral, squirt slowly, with pumps off, late in the evening right before lights went out. Make sure your WQ stays good. Don't over do it. Start with a small amount the first week to allow the tank to deal w/the extra food. Then you can build the amount you use up slowly. Keeping the thawed rotifer-solution in a small container in the fridge makes it easy to feed the coral every other day.

Series of pics below.
The 1st pic is the Turbinaria coral when first placed in tank.
The 2nd pic is the Turbinaria coral not happy w/location, bleaching in that same place.
The 3rd pic is the Turbinaria coral after I moved it and fed it, it made a come back.
It took a long time to come back.

Last edited:

whip

Wow. Nice thorough text!!! Thanks.

Ok...

I just ordered some KENT MARINE PHYTOPLEX and Two Little Fishes Marine Snow.

Because it is frozen, getting rotifers isn't cost effective, but I have some frozen mysis. Will that work in its place?

Oxylebius

Mysis might be too big. You can try it, but your fish may enjoy mysis more then the coral will. When feeding corals, always keep in mind the polyp size the larger the polyp the larger the food it can take. The smaller the polyp the smaller the food it can take.

whip

Mysis might be too big. You can try it, but your fish may enjoy mysis more then the coral will. When feeding corals, always keep in mind the polyp size the larger the polyp the larger the food it can take. The smaller the polyp the smaller the food it can take.

I ordered, received, and applied my first feeding of the food you told me to get. Hopefully I start to see some of the corals get out of their funk.

On a positive note, I picked up a large frag of Porites for $50; not bad for the size...

image.jpg

And a little frag of it...

image.jpg

And a little drag of Acropora (I have no idea what variety). It has little fluorescent green fuzziness all over it.

image.jpg

I also picked up an unknown coral... I think it might be another meteor shower cyphastrea, but it is different than the other two I have.

image.jpg

And another unknown... But I think it is a Chalice...

image.jpg

And last (but not least), a FTS...

image.jpg

whip

Thanks for the kind words! I have to say, stocking a tank is a great time.

Just waiting on the Pygmy Wrasse and Sexy Shrimp and I'll be done. Corals will the best part. I need some color in the tank; it is looking a little "blah" regarding color.

Desmond

What corals are you planning on getting ? Love the gramma i had one in my other tank but it died :-( love the way they swim :)

whip

I seem to have a giant copepod outbreak going on. The RG is hammering down on them. I probably won't need to feed him for a week!

image.jpg

I originally thought they were air bubbles until I noticed their erratic movement on the glass (and the RG picking them off of the glass). I googled it and didn't find much about it, but found that it is a good thing (food).

Can anyone offer anymore information on them?

whip

Anyway, I added another RW-4; that makes two. So as far as flow goes, I am pushing the following water in my tank:

MP10: 1500gph
RW-4 (X2): 2100gph
SP-980: 980gph

Total GPH: 4,580gph or I am turning 135 times of total volume.

My Sexy Shrimp came in Thursday and I have to pick them up today!

I guess my Pygmy Wrasse didn't make it through the shipping process, so I have to try again next week. That is kind of a bummer.

whip

I probably should have pinged you guys first, but a couple of days ago I threw a large turbo on the back chamber. It was getting a little nasty with a light white slime, so I put a member of the CUC back there. I put a big one so it couldn't get stuck in the skimmer and wouldn't jack around with my ATO sensor. He has cleaned it up nicely.

Once he is done with that, I'll move him to the RSM chamber of death (ie: pump chamber). Since he is big, I think he'll be unaffected by the pump intake.

Anyone else do this?

whip

What corals are you planning on getting ? Love the gramma i had one in my other tank but it died :-( love the way they swim :)

Corals? I am definitely seeking SPS with color. Going barebottom with super high flow and PC's supplemented with LED was the plan. I DO think I am lacking on the light to be 100% successful, but I set my rock work up to try my best.

In order to be an "SPS dominated" tank, I have two surfaces built to house them. One super high and close to the light (the pillar to the right) and a lower area to the left.

I will have four to five areas for LPS. The top tabletop, the lower tabletop, a small lower ledge, various flat areas on the vertical space on the pillar, and the bottom glass.