Which UV sterilizer would be best

chrome91

IMO dont use a UV, its controversial whether theyre good or not in a reef, but they kill Copepod naupili, which is a natural food for many corals, as well as Phytoplankton and other zooplankton that form in reef tanks

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I would have to disagree with that statement I run UV & very stong UV up 300 Watts & my pod populations are great. I would suggest the Curretn-usa models & a pump that will pump 80-100gph

Frankie

RS STAFF
I would have to disagree with that statement I run UV & very stong UV up 300 Watts & my pod populations are great. I would suggest the Curretn-usa models & a pump that will pump 80-100gph
I totally agree with you Jack. UV's will help more then harm. The pro's out weigh the con's. I have always used UV 24/7 and my system has a huge pod population, waters clear and my fish have never gotten sick.

hma

IMO dont use a UV, its controversial whether theyre good or not in a reef, but they kill Copepod naupili, which is a natural food for many corals, as well as Phytoplankton and other zooplankton that form in reef tanks

I can even disagree to this statement. It is simply not true that Copepod nauplii die by use of uv_c. One finds 99% of ALL Copopods and comparable living beings in the living rock and sand and NOT in the free water. Consequently the statement is simply a nonsense.

NanoNewbie

Thanks for the replies everyone. From what I've read from other forums Uv is really good for keeping fish free of illnesses and especially ich Was just wondering what brand and wattage i would use on 30 gal

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I also agree with Jack. The real issue is that UV's that we use, the contact time, flow rate and the uW- sec /cm ^2 is not high enough. You need a "zap" dosage of greater than 100,000 uW- sec /cm ^2. About the only thing we kill are bacteria at a max of around 2,500 uW- sec /cm ^2 for bacteria. A single celled Paramecium, like you learned about in Jr High School, needs 200,000 uW- sec /cm ^2 to killl. But IMHO you really do not need one. However, they are great for "green water" issues.