which test kit to trust????

GlassMunky

So I'm a little(lot) confused and not sure what to trust..... I just bought a new API Reef Master kit with the calcium,alk,nitrate/phosphate tests. I have all of these in Salifert testbut am about to run out which is why i got the new kits. I first tested the calcium with the new API kit and got a really high reading and thought i did the test wrong. Well i came back a few hours later, re-read the instructions and re-did the test. Same result, Calcium of 500. I then checked the results with my Salifert test kit and came back with a result of 425......Which do i believe? the $30 per test brand, or the $35 for all tests kit?
I havnt tried any of the other tests in the API kit as i'm not sure i trust any of them with these varying results

KARussell88

This is a good question that I would like to add to. What is the difference between the API Fresh and Saltwater Master test kit? Will the freshwater kit not work for saltwater even though they test the same thing?

I'm no scientist, I have used salifert whenever possible. API is supposed to be pretty good too. perhaps one kit is from a bad batch or expired? I don't think saltwater kits will give accurate readings for freshwater or visa versa. Boomer started a thread awhile ago, http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chemistry-forum/65753-lab-aquarium-grade-test-kits.html, about test kits and he would probably be someone that could accurately answer these questions...maybe pm him to get his input.

Frankie

RS STAFF
So I'm a little(lot) confused and not sure what to trust..... I just bought a new API Reef Master kit with the calcium,alk,nitrate/phosphate tests. I have all of these in Salifert testbut am about to run out which is why i got the new kits. I first tested the calcium with the new API kit and got a really high reading and thought i did the test wrong. Well i came back a few hours later, re-read the instructions and re-did the test. Same result, Calcium of 500. I then checked the results with my Salifert test kit and came back with a result of 425......Which do i believe? the $30 per test brand, or the $35 for all tests kit?
I havnt tried any of the other tests in the API kit as i'm not sure i trust any of them with these varying results
You may want to get a third test going on your Ca++ from the LFS or a friend and see what that reading is. Salifert has been very reliable for me for many years and I trust the Ca++ kit more then others. Elos was a nice kit to use also.
I have had equal results using API also with no variation. I hated the Nitrate test though by API.
Good call on checking the dates jedi :thumbup:

steved13

PREMIUM
This is a good question that I would like to add to. What is the difference between the API Fresh and Saltwater Master test kit? Will the freshwater kit not work for saltwater even though they test the same thing?

I'm pretty sure the ranges of the kits are very different for freshwater and saltwater. I believe if you used one for the other it would read off the scale (low or high depending). I would check with Boomer or Reefmack to be sure.

GlassMunky

I cant find a date on the API tests only a batch number. the Salifert kiit with i had been using for a long time says its good untill 04/2015. I guess i'll try to get a reading from the LFS as a third source and see what that says. Thanks Frankie, why did you hate the nitrate test? i havnt tried it yet. so far im not a fan of the cap and shake thing either, when i take the cap off it leaks down on my hand again and again....

tnwillia

I've used the Salifert kits but used the API master kit to get a second test opinion. I really like the API Nitrate & Phospate kits only because the colors are very easy to read for these tired old eyes. Have fun!

Val

I'm pretty sure the ranges of the kits are very different for freshwater and saltwater. I believe if you used one for the other it would read off the scale (low or high depending). I would check with Boomer or Reefmack to be sure.

I have bought some API individual test kits and some come with two color charts .. one for salt and one for fresh. My calcium/Mag test kit is Tropic Marin, in order to do the Mag test you have to do the calcium test first. I use the API calcium test also and it is hard to read... it starts out pink, then changes to purple and it's hard to be certain when it changes to blue.

Frankie

RS STAFF
I cant find a date on the API tests only a batch number. the Salifert kiit with i had been using for a long time says its good untill 04/2015. I guess i'll try to get a reading from the LFS as a third source and see what that says. Thanks Frankie, why did you hate the nitrate test? i havnt tried it yet. so far im not a fan of the cap and shake thing either, when i take the cap off it leaks down on my hand again and again....

Hello GM,
I am not a fan of API's nitrate test because it is a red test. Meaning, it is RED at < 0.2 ppm and also at < 0.50 ppm. There is not color variance to tell you exactly where you are on nitrates. The only time I have ever seen it at < 0.00 ppm was after doing a LNS for over a year.
The Salifert test kit was much easier to read for me. The shading was very distinct.

magnetar68

I have both API freshwater and saltwater. For Ph, nitrAte, and ammonia, the cards are different, so the color scales are not the same. This means you cannot use the freshwater kit. The nitrite can as the card says saltwater/freshwater on it. The chemical bottles are the same, so if you have the saltwayer card, you can use the bottles that come in the freshwatee kit. You can verify this by looking at the numbers on the front of the bottle that show the product number. E.g the numbers on the ammonia bottles are both 1711A-04-0806.

GlassMunky

Ok, so i returned the API kit just for the fact that i realy wasnt a fan of how they worked. and just got a new calcium test from salifert.

Old Salifert 425
API 500
New Salifert 480

Val

No. I just want something in the correct ballpark though. 500 and 425 are pretty different.

I don't fault you for that at all. My Tropic Marin and API calcium tests are normally pretty close. I've considered more expensive test kits and Salifert was one I was looking at now I'm not sure about them. *shrugs* I guess the point I'm making is the test kits are not absolutes no matter what the price of the hobby grade test. You are correct the best we can hope for is to get in the ballpark or learn our own tanks. I can normally tell by my tank when something is off and the test kits just help me narrow down the problem. Does that make sense?

GlassMunky

yea, It makes sense. and I try to do that as well. The main reson i'm looking at all the tests is that my pocilipora hasnt really opened up fully in about a week now, so wanted to make sure everything was correct. but with these varying results i have no idea where my water is REALLY at..... I dont want to dose thinking its low and in actuality its already high, and i'm making it way higher than it should be

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I just tested a API Ca test and a Elos test last night on a buddies tank......API changed between the 340 to 360 drop and the elos test read 350.......

It's probably a safe bet that you're approximately in the 480-500 range. I don't think there will be adverse affects, aside from calcium build-up on pumps and other equipment. Hope your coral perks up. Good luck!

GlassMunky

Ok, so to add to this, I went to a different LFS today to get a new Alk test and had them do a test as well. Today the store got a calcium reading of 455 and I got a reading of 480 (I think, the color change was really lite)

Onto this, I'm a little concerned that my calcium readings are up at like 480-ish and my alk is only at 7.5-ish So kinda out of balance......... I'm confused at this point and not sure what to do. Do i dose just Alk and bring that p to where it should be and just trust the calcium test and not dose the calcium?? or just not dose anything and just do WC trying to get it back to normall? Chemistry isnt my strong point, please help

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I think WC's always help, as long as the levels in them are good! I'm no expert but I would try to keep up with the alk while your CA falls into line.

BK

+1 to PSU4ME

Definitely try water change before dosing. If you decide to dose, find a reef calculator to determine amounts. I'm using my phone right now but I'll try to wrangle up a link for ya