which substrate

DaveK

This is one area where you really can't go too wrong. People run everything from bare bottom tanks to 4" deep sand beds and have great reef systems.

My personal preference is to use dry aragonite sand, one grade courser than "sugar sand", and use either just enough to cover the bottom or use a 4" deep sandbed.

However, I would not call some one else wrong if they were doing something different.

People do use all sorts of other, non-LFS, sources for sand. This can be a lower cost alternative, but I think your better off just buying it from your LFS. That way you know exactly what your getting.

DesertOrchid

+1 Nano..... that's the kind I use in all 4 of my tanks. Looks great, cleans up nice when vaccuumed out with water changes and doesn't blow around the tank under normal currents. I used a dsb for the 125 since there is a tube anemone there and it works as well there as it does in the 72 bow and the 2 nanos with just an inch on the bottom.

mikejrice

Avoid crushed coral like the plague! Traps detritus and becomes a nitrate factory!

I agree to an extent. I've come to the conclusion that crushed coral should be regularly siphoned.

Really, it's all personal preference. All types can be used to build a beautiful reef tank.

Michael Rice
Marine Engineers
Sent from Tapatalk, so excuse my bad spelling and grammer.

ChrisY

I have been thinking about this as well for my second thank that isnt setup yet. I was thinking of a little finer grain than I have now so I could have a sand sifter starfish and goby with MH lights and maybe some SPS and Clams. I like what I have now it doesnt blow around, but I think I would like something a bit finer.

Let us know what you decide. Interesting to hear about what you are going to do.