Which salt mix? Choice of 2

Discussion in 'Just starting out (SW Beginners)' started by MarineDream, Feb 6, 2019.

1. MarineDream

MarineDream New Member

Hi there
    Since I’m likely to have a nano tank, I will be buying premixed salted RO water from one of two nearby LFS.
    The question is, which one.

One LFS uses Tropic Marin Pro Reef Salt. The other (further away) uses Instant Ocean.

Ideally I’d prefer to choose the closer option (also cheaper by 5p a litre) but if it’s no good I’m prepared to travel and pay more to get it right.

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of either brand?
    I’m aware some of these are down to personal taste but for a nano reef tank that will only keep soft corals or possibly one or two sps if I feel brave, which would be better?
    For instance I’ve heard that Tropic marin has the higher calcium content which would be better for corals but I don’t know if that’s true.

Any advice would be great :)

2. DaveK

DaveK Well-Known Member

The correct answer here is "false". Get the gear you need to make your own RO/DI water and mix your own salt.

The big problem with using the LFS is that you have no control over the quality of the water being used or the actual salt being used. You never know when they might skimp on things or do it incorrectly. More that a few people have had problems because the LFS used tap water or a low grade salt or didn't mix it correctly.

About all you'll need is a basic RO/DI unit, a small powerhead and a 5 gal bucket. Long term this will be less expensive and a lot less work compated to lugging water from your LFS store.

3. Uncle99

Uncle99 Well-Known Member

Salt is Salt
    Some mix higher in the range (like RS Pro)
    Some lower (like IO)

Pick what you like

Yup, make your own RO,

4. nanoreefing4fun

nanoreefing4fun Well-Known Member
    RS STAFF

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Here a good read...

A Simple RO/DI hookup anyone can do...

Our LFS (local fish stores) here sell sw (saltwater) and plain ro/di at a much cheaper price... can you just buy plain ro/di and mix the salt in yourself, is so I use Red Sea Coral Pro - another option