which one for a 20 gal SPS tank?

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
What is your tank depth?

What are you planning to keep in your tank?

You do know the "Track Record" for this company right? I learned the hard way that with lighting you really do get what you pay for. I bought FOUR light fixtures in 2 years for my 10g reef tank and I wasted a LOT more $$ than I saved. I just want you to go into this with your eyes open and knowing. Some people have had good luck with this brand of light but some have not. Buyer Beware :)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Thanks Al. Glad I wasn't the one to say it. But true.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

PIMPALA

T5

IMHO, the best inexpensive fixture on the market is Wave Point. Individual reflectors, built in GFI, and very well built/nice looking.

DesertOrchid

Thumbs up to Matt and Al for putting out the truth about those lights. I had one of those fixtures on my tank and about burned down the house when it had a melt down after only a few months of use. Of course they wouldn't cover replacing it when I FINALLY was able to reach the customer service. IMO Lemonpeel..... Go for a T5 fixture made by Aquaticlife. I have 3 of their fixtures. Great customer service and a good priced product. You could put 4 bulbs of T5 on that tank without the problems of heat that a MH would produce in that small amount of waster. Just my 2 cents.......

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I've got aquaticlife fixtures. The leds don't last long but everything else works like a champ.

Woohoo Matt has tapatalk back

GlassMunky

that 2 bulb kit wont do anything for SPS.......
In my opinion, I'd go for the halide if you can. or try to find something with more T5's if you REALLLY wanna get the SPS happy. I have a 150MH and T5's over my 29 and the SPS are growing sooo fast i gotta upgrade to a bigger tank

GlassMunky

also just read this is a "high" tank..... definatly MH for the taller tank so you can grow anything, anywhere in the tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Even a 20H is only 17" tall so T5's with Individual Reflectors will be plenty. I do agree that you'll want more than 2 bulbs. If you shop around you can even get a really nice 6-bulb fixture over that tank. One brand I've used in the past and had great success with is Catalina Aquariums. They sell the SOLAR series of T5 fixtures.

24 inch BLACK SOLAR T5 HO - 6 X 24W
Catalina Aquarium

I've not shopped for T5 fixtures in a while but when I was I used CA several times. They have great customer service too!

PIMPALA

4 or 6 bulb T5 will be plenty on a 20 tall. 6 bulbs would be ideal for sure! and on a tank that small, using a MH light fixture is asking for heat issues IMO. (been there, done that)

brandon

I agree with all catalina has some good lights for fair prices. I went their wearhouse and felt with jim personally for 2 250w mh retro fit kit kit for my old 75g. Great guy.