Which lights do you recommend?

• 442W Metal Halide System $239.00

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • 234W Nova Extreme Pro $369.99

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
I have been in this hobby for a really long time if I had to choose it would be T5's hands down less energy consumption inexpensive to replace bulbs & or ballasts. Far less heat great growth

Varga

can you grow sps under t5's? if so im going to kick myslef right now for buying so many halides :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I bought from Hombby twice, both times paid Sunday, got it Wednesday. very awesome guy. don't worry he has thousands of them :)

And don't worry about the fire thing, theres one report of the old magnetic ballast smoking and sparking, and theres a billion posts referring to that one report. and that too could have been started by a competitor maybe? my ballasts are very small and light weight and they only get slightly warm, never hot.

Varga not to be argumentative but if I can find the pics I can SHOW you what one of those ballasts looks like after the "Fire Incident". There was a local reefer who had one and fortunately he was HOME and smelled "burned plastic". He was able to "sniff" it out and his ballast was melted and there was indeed a small flame going IN his canopy. If I can't find his post I'll email him for the pics. it's not a ONE time case.

Allen

lcstorc

At least if they have feedback from 2003 they are not the company that keeps changing names so that is good. I don't know anything about that specific light but I do know that T5s are getting better and better, particularly if they have individual reflectors.
I am still stuck on the Solaris though. That is the next light I will own for the reef.

Varga

Allen, he put the ballast inside the canopy? I don't think any part of this fixture should be anywhere near a canopy, its like putting a space heater inside a wooden box :D

so you guys are saying I can grow any type of sps under T5's??!! right now my guesstimate is $40 per month just for the lights!!!

Last edited:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
From my understanding (for what that's worth) is yes it was in a canopy or somehow attached to it. The pics just depicted the ballast and it's "short" and the burned wood. I left him an email.

Yes IF done correctly (correct type of bulbs, sufficient # of bulbs, and quality reflectors) you can keep just about anything.

The optimal way to do T5's would be a DIY/retro set-up where you get to pick & chose the components. :)

jubbers

i voted MH setup, it's not energy effecient, but u can get any light loving coral you want. plus it's cheaper.

Varga

No-one's arguing. he says T5's, you say Halides, I say corals don't need light, that just a rumor started by retailers :D